Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Recone Guide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Awesomesound99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesomesound99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2013 at 9:42pm
Awesome guide, very useful!
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 5:17pm
Just discovered the recone guide. Very useful source of info.
cass ent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cass ent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2014 at 8:51pm
This is very informative . My advice to any pa enthusiast / bass junky / speaker freak , is to give it a go . I did my first recone 11 years ago on a fane colossus 15xb and I've never looked back since . I've done over 500 recones / foam edge repairs now and it can be very addictive ! I'll get baskets just to repair them sometimes( it beats an airfix kit any day)

Some clone kits require abit of prep work but I never rule them out as you can save a hell of a lot of wedge over a genuine kit and to be honest you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in tonal quality and most of the time physical look.
Jubone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jubone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 5:37pm
Hi there,Thanks very much for the info.I'm doing a recone myself to an old Celestion 18" bass driver that has had a rattle since buying it on ebay,It's part of a Tannoy B950 cab. I waited for the kit to arrive before stripping out the software on the driver. As soon as I had removed the old cone assembly I covered the voice coil gap with tape and spent a good few hours preping the driver for the new software, when I finally removed the tape to clean the gap I noticed that the gap is slightly offset. To verify my visual observations I put several of the shims together so they was a snug fit in the gap and ran round 360 degrees, and sure enough it got tighter on one side. So I imagine that it is game over for this driver, and it would be a waste of a recone kit to confirm my suspicions? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edited by Jubone - 21 May 2014 at 6:10pm
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 6:00pm
does the new kit go in freely? 
error 404
Jubone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jubone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 6:08pm
Hi Joe, with all the shims in place it's a tight fit, need a bit of pressure to push the coil into the gap. Looking at the old voice coil there doesn't appear to be any damage from rubbing.
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 6:11pm
with the shims it should be pretty tight, especially the last one but you shouldn't have to force it.. 

i'd say if, without the shims in, that it moves fairly freely it should be ok.. i'd do the recone if i were you 

error 404
Jubone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jubone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 6:20pm
Ok, I'll try another dry run. On the previous one I had all the shims in place first and then eased the cone into place, so your saying put the cone in and then put in the shims, I'll give that a try on a dry run then. Thanks for that.
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 6:31pm
no, i mean if it goes in  and can move freely without the shims i'd have thought it'd be ok.. 
error 404
Jubone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jubone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 6:35pm
Yeah, got ya
Jubone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jubone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 6:37pm
Thanks Joe and to everyone else who took the time pass on their wisdom on this forum. I went for it and the driver is working again. :)
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2015 at 4:13pm
Has anyone used Gorrila glue on spider and basket? Or shall I pop to screwfix for some Evostick?
In bass no one can hear you scream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>