Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A.S.S system questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A.S.S system questions
    Posted: 05 July 2019 at 11:19pm
Hi there! Sorry if my english it's not good enough but I write from basque country (north of Spain) with some questions about some stuff we have.

A social center brought to us for free a lot of old stuff because we said we want to refurb it and make it sound loud again... (epic!)

So, can you say what model are this A.S.S speakers on the picture?

I think mids are concert 212
The big horn ????
The top one HF6040??
And I have no idea what model are the 1x15 vented wbin do you?

At the same time I want to ask you about the drivers.

All the four horns (both models) have a korean SAMMI 2" model SM-3201 compression driver (have no idea about this brand and model). If you know something please tell me!

The mids where emptyand we used some gear we have (I know it's not the best way but we don't have cash now)
-For one of the 2x12 cabinets we used two old Rcf 12/544 and we love how to it's sound!!.
-For the other one we used a mix of two new drivers. One is a celestion LN/12 4002 (It came from a broken mackie srm450 mk3) and the other it's a Electrovoice EVS 12K (the same but from a zlx 12p). Maybe we have the option to put two DAS but not at the moment. It's Sounds great too

For the wbin bass cabinet we used 4 JBL M115-8 from two JBL JRX 100 for the moment but we are wondering to use PD1550 (but we want some advice about because maybe there are cheaper or better options and we don't know).
Here in much easier find beyma and das in second hand market.

We also have some martin cabinets.
Two 115's filled with some unknown "looks like beyma's 15" and two M600 with the original 12" drivers but those ones are for the next round!

Sorry if are too much questions but we have tons of illusion and we are working hard to make it in the good way!!

Salud // cheers!!

Edited by Mugres - 05 July 2019 at 11:24pm
Mugres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2019 at 11:26pm
Sorry for the picture, I uploaded it two times and always happen the same...
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 8:00am
The mids are ASS concert 212's.

The W-bin are from the ASS Q system...originally would have been Gauss 4580 drivers. PD1550 would be best modern alternative.

The big horns are from the ASS concert system,originally would have been Gauss HF 4000 drivers. Any decent 2" exit driver would be fine.

Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 8:01am
Be seeing you.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 8:16am
Loving the description of the Q system...

Not a system i would drag along into a pub 😂
But it looks awesome.. ASS bins just look sexy... 
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 8:30am
Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 10:50am
You have been given a nice tidy little system there and it will not take much work to get it sounding quite nice again.
It looks like the large horn mounting flanges have had some damage hence the wooden strips on the front covering this---Common thing on Tony's big fibreglass radials and the original JBL 2" drivers have been replaced with the Sammi but they are not a bad sounding driver at all as I have had one or two pass through my hands back in the day but you may want to add some bullet tweeter boxes to give the top end a bit of sparkle as the Sammis do not go up as high as the original JBLs.
When you are stacking the system, sit the smaller top horns at the back of the big radials keeping the drivers in rough phase alignment.
There are plenty of modern drivers that will work well in those cabinets as soon as you have a bit more money to spend and it will sound very nice when completed.
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Loving the description of the Q system...

Not a system i would drag along into a pub 😂

70kg for the bass cabinets! And that’s for a “portable” system. Clearly Tony was just stronger than the rest of us!
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

You have been given a nice tidy little system there and it will not take much work to get it sounding quite nice again.

It's also quite valuable, and to be given it must be considered a proper result,even empty, just a quick tot-up,18 boxes,at say 200 euros a box = 3600 Euros.   Not bad for free.
Be seeing you.
Mugres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 5:18pm
Thank you all for the anwers!!

I tried to find all the info by myself but it was hard sometimes... people in this forum it's amazing!!

Can I ask some more things?

probably the way to improve the High frequencies response it's kind of a tweeter box with 4 or 6 tweeters in angle (I saw your's, jbl_man) but...

What do you think if we make a box with two smaller compression drivers with a horn for each, We have 2 jbl 2112H-1 from the JRX with their horn and possibly to have 2 more from 2 mpro 215 I have but with the 1" horn of two peavey 12pro...

In that case time align must be phisically (moving the HF box to rear) or using a delay in the crossover way?? And with the bullet tweeters the same??? (I never used a dedicated HF box) 

We have a lot of stuff throwed away by people don't have enought room or energy to fix it!

Thanks!!

Edited by Mugres - 06 July 2019 at 5:32pm
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 8:29pm
A quite easy way around the HF problem would be to buy a couple of 2" to twin 1" "Y" throat adaptors and use them with your 4x1" JBL units bolted on to the smaller top horns and keep the two Sammi that you swap them for as spare units or for future use.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 10:15am
Nice system. I had a couple of those 2 x 12 cabinets years ago. They were loaded with Peavey Black Widows and definitely sounded good.

Y donde estais? Igual tengo unos Gauss de 15" ke te puede pasar (4583)...   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>