Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a way to masterdimm several effects at once

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManSoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a way to masterdimm several effects at once
    Posted: 17 January 2024 at 12:32am
heres the thing:

for a bday party in 4 weeks im planning sound and light.
since light is my main specialty, i will invest the most time and equipment in light.

im using different effects from movingheads, rgb-strobes, led-bars, flar pars, martin rush wizard, hazer fogger lasers and so on. for this event i was thinking about a way, not to blackout all effects BANG darkness (which is pretty convenient), but to slowly (1-3secs) dimm all running effects down to 0/darkness, and have them continue at 100% when the bass kicks in.

until now, i either have a scene or chaser running, or i controll the effects nsync manually with the music. as i was thinking, i couldnt think of a way to masterdimm all effects at once, bcuz every effect has its masterdimmer on a different channel. on my controller (glp Scan Operator FX 2) i can remap single channels (i think?), so in the end i could setup this thing to have every masterdimmer for every effect on one channel, but this will lead into chaos and confusion, since im using a print-manual with all dmx-functions while operating the controller, remembering every function of every channel of every effect is almost impossible when sober, when drunk, no way no chance. im looking for a solution as simple as possible, bcuz, as said, ill be drunk Confused

another way could be, to have several scenes with stepped down dimmer like 100 80 60 40 20 off, put this into a bank or chaser and let it run at a defined speed. 
problem is that chasers/banks on my controller loop, so dimmer wont stay off. i have a freeze-option that stops every dmx-output until release. hmm.... dmx is complicated stuff and lighting dudes dont get the attention they deserve. still.

if someone has an idea, im all ears.  greetings

Edited by 1ManSoundsystem - 17 January 2024 at 5:28am
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2024 at 8:33am
I have no knowledge of this desk but if i read the manual correctly you have 6 override scenes. isn't it possible to preprogram this with a manual step chase so on all dim/fade channels 1. fade to black in x sec. 2. release channels? 

reminds me of my masterpiece years; alway all dimmers on the top left channel and a selection of dim channels on 2/3/4..

If you have some cash to burn the Wolfmix is a really great desk for events like this. for the price unbeatable. really easy to get creative with. not a replacement for a decent desk and operator but for small gigs without operator unbeatable. still impossible to stay away from overusing strobefunctions when drunk though.. as i can vow for. https://www.wolfmix.com/en/home

Edited by Bams - 17 January 2024 at 8:34am
1ManSoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManSoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2024 at 12:46pm
hi, im not that smart. could you explain that step chase dim fade thing?

i almost never work with the override scenes except blackout. when drunk, strobes hammering and its time for full on, when sensible chicks complain, i cant help, me and the boys have always fun :D 
i try to setup everything while sober.

ill check out that wolfcontroller, looks weird. never heard aboout s.t. like that. looks similar to that korg-pad for different dj-effects (which is not my field)
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2024 at 2:38pm
get Avolites
be happy

T1 is cheap, i can arrange sale if you want or buy elsewhere

worth it :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManSoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2024 at 12:21am
avolites looks like some serious stuff for professionals which im not even remotely.
im glad that i can operate that small fx-generator. when i see those cracks with these huge controllers on some events, i always think, that im nothing compared to these guys running 40 50 60 MHs and countless other effects or programm this stuff beforehand.

i think i will play around with these fadetime-functions, which i think, i dont even understand completely :D but this looks like s.t. i could use.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2024 at 8:04am
Funny thing is that a larger/professional desk will make your life easy. smaller desks tend to cramp loads of functions under less buttons or faders so even while not "fully focussed" every fader or button can be assigned a function.

The wolfmix is indeed based on the idea of assignable functions under different pads, but the trick is being partly "preprogrammed". you assign groups of fixtures and these are laid over different functions/pads.

oh and when chicks or hunks come over to your desk they will be likely trying to order a drink or a record.. nobody got turned on by running strobes as far as my experience goes.. 
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2024 at 8:49am
could you not use a master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManSoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2024 at 1:38pm
bams: depends on the people. we had some insane darktechno events, where all that was running was strobe, a lot of ! red and white. a bday party is s.t. different. if the moods wont come up, people sit or stand around bcuz the music sucks, theres no need for strobes of course. but in my experience, the more people drunk the better the mood the more desire for actionlights. i didnt get that part of people coming over and order a drink. most people mistake me for the dj, and wonder why im looking around the room when operating the controller :D most doesnt seem to know, that light also needs to be operated and wont work self-sufficent. ordering a drink would be desired btw, since im making cocktails this evening.

teeth: thats a mindblowing idea. its like asking people whos cars with three wheels wont drive, why not using a 4th one.
 Post Reply Post Reply