Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

About 12pi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About 12pi
    Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:11am
Hi all,
anyone have ever listen a 12pi horn? How does it sound compared to a lab, and flh 18 or a scoop?

cheers, bitzo
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 11:41am
free bump
Best regards,
Teun.
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 12:40pm
;)
scottylaroq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottylaroq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 3:58pm
ive head that its very comparable with the lab subwoofer. theres alot more info on it over at pro sound web.
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 7:02pm
yes but I want to learn the differences between a front loaded horn and pushpull horn.
scottylaroq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottylaroq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 5:32pm
im pretty sure push push is just referring to the driver arrangement, its still a FLH like a lab, but the drivers are arranged in a push pull manner.

push pull is put in place because drivers do not have a symetrical BL curve, which is to say its motor strength excurting inwards is the not the same as excurting outwards. by inverting one of the drivers, and then flipping the phase you end up with push pull, both drivers are still displacing air in phase, except one is doing it by going backward when the other is forward, this is effect cancells out any nonlinearities the drivers motor may have.
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 5:45pm
ok I got the pushpull theory.....on the sound side I mean tasting with ears...what is the differences between this 2 cab? I mean why have I to build lab instead of 12pi
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 6:01pm
I haven't heard one but in theory even order distortion should be reduced.

I've seen a report from a guy who built a push-pull tapped horn that claimed that it allowed slightly greater maximum excursion before damage. I guess the theory is it makes excursion more linear, but I'm not sure how much it affects things in practice as this guy had also played with the throat chamber size on his design.
nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2010 at 4:49am
Wayne parham of 12pi seemed to have embarked on the project largely to annoy thomas danley who designed the original labsub & is a big commercial designer of some repute.
If i recall, theres some highly entertaining bitching & slagging matches between wayne and danley on one of the other audio forums a while back ..think it was pro sound web. They certainly dont seem to like eachother.

the design is based on some matters that on paper sound like an advancement; but largely equate to being abit of a scotch mist affair resulting in even more unwieldy cabinets.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2010 at 7:13pm
" Wayne parham of 12pi seemed to have embarked on the project largely to annoy thomas danley who designed the original labsub & is a big commercial designer of some repute.
If i recall, theres some highly entertaining bitching & slagging matches between wayne and danley on one of the other audio forums a while back ..think it was pro sound web. They certainly dont seem to like eachother.

the design is based on some matters that on paper sound like an advancement; but largely equate to being abit of a scotch mist affair resulting in even more unwieldy cabinets."

Total misinformation.

Wayne embarked on developing push-pull drivers for his horn designs largely after discussions with me on Audio Asylum in the 2003 time frame. Several of the newer models from Danley also employ push-pull drivers.

Dumax testing of some drivers in push-pull vs normal mounting of the same drivers has shown that linear x-max (as a function of BL) increased about 40%, enough for 3dB more output. Several people have commented that push-pull can play louder before objectionable break-up sounds become annoying.

The construction of the 12Pi may (in some areas) be more complex than the LAB 12, this is a function of incorporating the heatsinks on the woofers in a push-pull driver mounting scheme.

Wayne also invested considerable time and expense on trying to incorporate shorting rings in the LAB 12 woofers, only to find that push-pull driver mounting worked better at the lowest frequencies.

Wayne (and Danley too) has been a great boon to the DIY community.
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply