Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Active Behringer with 'revolutionary' class-d amps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Active Behringer with 'revolutionary' class-d amps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphabetikal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Active Behringer with 'revolutionary' class-d amps
    Posted: 17 March 2014 at 4:53pm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_b112d.htm

Anyone know anything about these - cheap as shit - probably sound pony but what kind of amp could be in there and do people think it could be worth hacking?

input is not 12v here, its a 240v system... but might be able to by bypassed?

a
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 5:44pm
Dunno. They seem like in the same price bracket as yer Skytec/Soundlab (mebbe come out of the same Chinese factory ?)

But is there any reason to think they're any more adaptable to 12V use than any other active cab ?

BTW - I suspect inverters + switch-mode amps can be trouble ....

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 6:39pm
You're better of getting a passive PA speaker with a MaxAmp, AMP6 or even a 24v amp like the TK2050 if you need more power. You need huge batteries to power the system you have in mind.
fourway hornloaded View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourway hornloaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 8:28pm
Class-D amps have similar supply voltages to normal class-AB. So if you buy that cab and open it up, you'd probably find a normal +/- 60 Volt DC power supply. Switchmode or mains-transformer-type, either way its got a mains input. No easy way to feed that on 12V.

If you're looking for decent power from 12 volts, why not get one of those class-d car amplifiers second hand from the 'bay. The ones that really are class-d are normally not cheap but they're cheaper than the berry speaker you're referring to and they can do 500W at 4 Ohms or even more.

The number of watts on the silk screen doesn't tell you anything about the actual amp but here is a site that tested quite a few of them: http://amp-performance.de/106-von-Alpine-bis-Zapco.html

Hope that helps.

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 9:16pm
There's a company modding JBL PRX powered boxes, to run from 12v - That would be a worthwhile hack I guess... my guess is they've built a step-up system to power the amp from DC
I wouldn't waste any time or money on this Ballringer active. You'd be much better off buying a pair of cheap 2nd hand passives and a chip amp
alphabetikal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphabetikal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 8:06am
hey guys
thanks for the feedback and thoughts, I totally see what youre saying. 

The problem is we have been looking for a £100-200 solution in this shape and form for some time for the few outdoor events we have. Got one of those shi*e QTX jobs.... they are OK but nothing compared to the DIY one I made. Output music levels on that are quite low.
Was hoping this might be an answer in one shape or form but I think not this time,.... ;D

A
 Post Reply Post Reply