Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Active crossover/power/new setup questions!.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2021 at 5:34pm
Can't see why not.. it doesn't have a lot of features the dcx has such as selection of filter slopes, parametric eqs, limiting etc but the ligwa would be potentially easier to understand/use and imo would sound as good or better than the dcx.. 
Reverence Sound system

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2021 at 10:30pm
It seems CharlieB just wants analogue processing instead of digital processing. There is nothing wrong with that. The end result will lead more to wards an Analogue sound than, a Digital sound.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 24 March 2021 at 10:31pm
Elliot Thompson
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by CharlieB CharlieB wrote:

My thoughts were;

Scoops (sub) 2401
Double 15 (bass/kick) 2x 1200s
Double 12 (lo mid) 1200 a
Mt130 (hi mid/hi) 1200 b/450 a
Tweeters (highs)  450 b

Didnt think that was weird?
There is no sub out. I thought about using the crossover as 2x 3way monos to give 6 outs. Or would frequency overlap be an issue?
Didnt think a passive xo was nessesary if using an active.

Thanks!

2x 3-way may not be possible to setup correctly for this system with that Citronic crossover, likely the mid/hi crossover range won't go low enough to be used for kicks to low mids. But that double 12 is redundant anyway.. no reason at all the 15's can't cover that range, and with that box out of the mix the crossover can be configured for mono 4-way(see owners manual or rear panel) for a sub/low-mid/high-mid/high config. The tweeters can daisy chain off the high amp with a simple passive filter inline so they only cover the top octave, I wouldn't be surprised if there is already a capacitor in the tweeter box exactly for this purpose.
If I were to take a stab at crossover frequencies to use I'd start with 80/500/2khz probably, maybe the Beyma CD can be crossed lower.. depends what the driver is. A 4.7uF/100v non polarized cap would do the job in the tweeter box.
If anything this leaves the system a bit light in the high-mids and IMO another mt130 would be the right solution for looks and coverage, but the double 12's could be pressed into service using the same crossover feed the 12" in the mt130 is getting.

And with the mix of horn and reflex loaded drivers the best crossover type would be one with the ability to time align, I know I could make this stack sound and perform much better with a DSP but I understand if that's not the way the OP wants to go. 

Edited by Conanski - 25 March 2021 at 4:05pm
CharlieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Originally posted by CharlieB CharlieB wrote:

My thoughts were;

Scoops (sub) 2401
Double 15 (bass/kick) 2x 1200s
Double 12 (lo mid) 1200 a
Mt130 (hi mid/hi) 1200 b/450 a
Tweeters (highs)  450 b

Didnt think that was weird?
There is no sub out. I thought about using the crossover as 2x 3way monos to give 6 outs. Or would frequency overlap be an issue?
Didnt think a passive xo was nessesary if using an active.

Thanks!

2x 3-way may not be possible to setup correctly for this system with that Citronic crossover, likely the mid/hi crossover range won't go low enough to be used for kicks to low mids. But that double 12 is redundant anyway.. no reason at all the 15's can't cover that range, and with that box out of the mix the crossover can be configured for mono 4-way(see owners manual or rear panel) for a sub/low-mid/high-mid/high config. The tweeters can daisy chain off the high amp with a simple passive filter inline so they only cover the top octave, I wouldn't be surprised if there is already a capacitor in the tweeter box exactly for this purpose.
If I were to take a stab at crossover frequencies to use I'd start with 80/500/2khz probably, maybe the Beyma CD can be crossed lower.. depends what the driver is. A 4.7uF/100v non polarized cap would do the job in the tweeter box.
If anything this leaves the system a bit light in the high-mids and IMO another mt121 would be the right solution for looks and coverage, but the double 12's could be pressed into service using the same crossover feed the 12" in the mt121 is getting.

Hi, thanks for your response. Really helpful.

I think for now I may try running it 4 way, with double 12" using same crossover frequency as the 12" in the other cab, as you've suggested. 

The tweeter cab is just a box with two tweeters in at the moment. I do have a spare Eminence PX2 5K passive crossover that I could fit into it, and do as you say - daisy chain from high amp and set so its running higher than horn in the MT 

Long term, ill build another MT130, and use the PD's from the double 12".

Thanks again 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12