Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ACTIVE STAGE MONITORS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 817718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACTIVE STAGE MONITORS
    Posted: 18 November 2018 at 5:43pm
Hi,

Im in the market for some mid-range "active" stage monitors and was hoping to get some advice from some folks here :-)

APPLICATION:
* Mainly monitors for electronic dance (Techno, Bass, Dubstep, Electro, etc). 

RIG:
* My main system consists of 6x Stable USB2's and 2x 12/6/1 Mid-top cabinet (so i will use these monitors in conjunction with this setup) 
* I will also plan on using JUST the monitors for smaller events

GOALS:
* Be able to clearly reference what is coming through the monitors without too much interference from the house system
* Achieve good low end and clear mid-highs. I found that many similar type monitors i have played on in past were too tingy sounding, hollow, ....leading to distortion 

OPTIONS:
* So what i have in mind (just to make thing easier im hoping) are the following contenders:
- Mackie Thump15a
- Turbosound ix15
- JBL Eon 612
- Alto TS 312

Any other questions, feel free to ask. TIA :-) 

-Binnie

Edited by 817718 - 18 November 2018 at 5:58pm
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2018 at 8:25pm
Try and stretch to Yamaha, I know they are a little bit more but it's worth it.

The DSR is a banging box. The DXR isn't far off. All my experience is with the 12"
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
817718 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 817718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2018 at 8:33pm
Thanks for the reply/suggestions but im afraid the Yamaha model you pointed out is abit outta my price range. I guess i should have mentioned my budget sits around 600-700euros. 
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 10:06am
As above, but also consider QSC K12.2

Also, a lot of hire outfits are moving to KXX.2, so the original K12 (.1) are being flogged off, and still damned competent.

Do not do Mackie. Or Eon. Turbo is now Behringer with an expensive badge. Alto is honest, but budget. Same class as W-Audio, i.e. fair value for money, but cheap.

Pays you money, takes your chances....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
mojofilters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojofilters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 3:21pm
RCF Art series could be another option, decent and sturdy inexpensive utility boxes - cursed by their fugly design, but otherwise pretty versatile.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by 817718 817718 wrote:

APPLICATION:
* Mainly monitors for electronic dance (Techno, Bass, Dubstep, Electro, etc). 

* I will also plan on using JUST the monitors for smaller events

What boxes have you used in the past that you liked or didn't like?
Can't say I would recommend any of those boxes you listed, the Mackies and Altos are just weak overall, the JBLs have no highend whatsoever(all done at 12khz), the Turbo I don't know. On the floor pointed up to get some boundary loading a 15" box will produce more bass but put it up on a stand 6ft in the air and you will wonder where it all went.

Yamaha DXR, EV EKX, JBL PRX is where you will need to be for decent fullrange performance.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by mojofilters mojofilters wrote:

RCF Art series could be another option, decent and sturdy inexpensive utility boxes - cursed by their fugly design, but otherwise pretty versatile.

Agreed, lovely spec to box, for price, but fooking ugly. Even on pub disco duty, looks out of place, unusable on a corporate.

Goes back to Yamaha DXR/DSR or QSC K, for boring baffle but good.

Edited by MattStolton - 19 November 2018 at 5:59pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 6:06pm
I did deploy a pair of EV ZXA1 on an install for floor monitors, admittedly as discrete and available in white, and they weren't bad. Not sure of what they do with a 12+HF, but may be worth a looksee.
817718 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 817718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 8:49pm
Thanks a mill gents for the feedback. Since my budget is limited i might have to settle with the 'type' of boxes listed above. In other words, im kinda screwed! Glad that i found out about the Mackie from you guys. But sad to hear their product sux. I guess i can cross that off my list now. Funny enough it was the old Mackie SR monitors that i remember using back in the day (on more than one occasion) that they just sounded awful and couldnt get a good mix in if i tried.

My only hope at this point might be the Turbos? Why would Turbo sell out to Behringer like that? Sorry, i hope i dont offend anybody with my ignorance.  

Final, off topic: So if they rate a set of monitors for example @ 35hz ~ 20khz do we hear the low end differently vs if they were mounted on the floor? Is it that ITS 'technically' 35hz on the scope but to the ear you just dont heard it the same or, at all? 

jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 9:08pm
Why not buy one DXR now and then another in a few months?

I have been down the road of buying cheap rental kit and it’s not a good route.

Buy cheap buy twice I’m afraid.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 9:30pm
Sorry to derail the thread a bit ,but why arent diy monitors more popular.? A case of not worth it or? 
Can't imagine with all the elaborate diy plans that a pair of monitors are hard to do, plate amps too expensive? 
Anyway, qsc k12 me like ... Plenty loud and not so harsh. 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

Sorry to derail the thread a bit ,but why arent diy monitors more popular.? A case of not worth it or? 
Can't imagine with all the elaborate diy plans that a pair of monitors are hard to do, plate amps too expensive? 
Anyway, qsc k12 me like ... Plenty loud and not so harsh. 

By the time you buy decent components and an amp and mess about getting the DSP to make it work, you're likely to have spent more cash and time than just making the most of the ridiculous economies of scale at play from QSC / Yamaha / EV etc.

Not to mention things like 7 year warranty (FILL OUT THE CARD)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>