Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Active woofer plugged into amp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasjahsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Active woofer plugged into amp?
    Posted: 21 February 2016 at 8:18pm
Hi. I have a setup with an amp and two passive speakers. They're not bad but they are lacking in bass. I also have a set of active speakers including a decent sub woofer. I spoke to a guy at richer sounds and he suggested that to improve the bass in my setup I could either get a passive woofer and double wire it to the speaker outputs on the amp, or get an active woofer and plug that into the "tape out" slots in the amp. Having thought about that since, however, I am confused because I thought you can't mix active speakers with amps as one will blow the other. Can anyone clarify if that would work? I don't really want to try it in case it goes wrong..
And if anyone has any other suggestions for how I can best up the bass from these available outputs..?

Thanks http://www.hifi-pictures.net/amplifiers-home/Cambridge%20Audio%20A1/back.jpg - http://www.hifi-pictures.net/amplifiers-home/Cambridge%20Audio%20A1/back.jpg
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2016 at 2:30am
It is safe to connect a self powered speaker or sub to the record out of a mixer or receiver as this is considered a non amplified output, but you won't have a remote control over the output of the sub and it won't follow the main volume control on your receiver so this isn't a great solution.
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2016 at 2:35am
You can't connect your active speakers to the amplified outputs of the amplifier, but the tape output is just line level signal so it would be ok.  It is the same signal that's entering the amplifier from your source device.
 Post Reply Post Reply