Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - adding box volume to compensate for the wood used?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adding box volume to compensate for the wood used?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding box volume to compensate for the wood used?
    Posted: 18 October 2021 at 12:14am
I'm building a couple 7 cu. ft. 2x18" bass reflex boxes similar to the Martin WS218X and I'm wondering if I should compensate for the slight volume displacement of the wood used to make the ports, internal bracing, and the baffle piece that the speaker is mounted on. I don't think WINISD is calculating and compensating for this displacement of air volume.

thank
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2021 at 12:35am
WinISD does not account for the displacement of those items but depending how you are doing the ports you may need to alter their length to get the planned tuning anyway so a minor deviation in total cab volume may not matter. Can you build a test box from cheap material to test? If not leave the ports "loose" until you can confirm the box delivers what you expect and make any necessary changes.
 Post Reply Post Reply