Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adding ferro fluid to rcf n350

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 9:16pm
I did a in depth analysis of what happens with a driver after adding ferrofluid.

Unfortunately the text is in Romanian, but I think you can understand much of it if you use google translate http://forum.poweraudio.ro/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=23974

this is the link that uses google translate from Romanian into English.

Edited by Mircea Bartic - 16 June 2017 at 9:19pm
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 12:13am
so why are manufacturers making drivers without ferro fluid?
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 1:54am
Any impulse plots?
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 4:57am
Encouraging to say the least ,thanks Mircea .

Other than realising the issue with paper bobbins ,did u realise many issues with adhesives ?

So doesn't do a huge deal to frequency response but deals with mechanical resonances ,which stops the material impacting it's own colour on the sound ,is what I got from that.

Be nice to do a destruction test with a couple of old comps , one with ,one without , send x amount of voltage through both drivers ,mayb pink noise with a high pass and a temp sensor and see how long they both last thermally !

Anyone tried adding the fluid to a jbl 2446 ? Such expensive diaphragms to go wrong but i think they could really benefit?

@ snowflake , I can't imagine Ud want to add them to a tweeter that is allreadydamped , for example a polyester or silk domed tweeter , would be over damped and sound as such !
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 9:58am
So iv been looking into copper shorting rings .
Sorry to confuse the thread with two different topics but I don't think it's worth starting a new thread for and it's on the same path as the Ferro fluid ,I.e upgrading the compression driver !

Seems like fitting a shorting ring would really do this driver a favour as there seems to be quite a bit of inductance ,looking at the frequency graph !

Dont think I'm game to take it on as interesting as it would be ha

An easier approach for diy is increasingthe conductivity of the pole peice by using silver paint apparently !

Anyone ever done this?

This is something I'd be happy to try , will have to order some more Ferro fluid and some silver paint and see how I get on removing the existing fluid

matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 4:14am

matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 4:41am
So this is my first ever attempt at some wooden compression driver horns !

They were made using various hole cutting bits , the type that take the material away as you go.

Then I used a router to get rid of as much material as possible on the wider edge as my hole cutting bits only went so big!

Feel free to criticise haha
Would of been nice to have access to a lathe and turn them but I didn't ha so I couldnt ,so did it the hard way!
Lots of clamps and a pillar drill .

I made a test run first so I could note the depths of each hole for each bit to acheive the profile I was looking for .

Then took out the steps with hard graft lol using a corse wood rasp , then varying grit sandpapers !

These aren't to a mathematical profile , in heindsight it would of been pretty easy to make a card template to follow rather than just using my eyes!

They turned out pretty well though I think haha !

Lengh and width says there good to Atleast 3khz and very basic frequency measurements support that !

I would guess that there an approximation of an exponential profile !

Bottom line .. they sound good, sound better than when they were mounted on the rcf box they came from !

They've been coaxily mounted in some jbl 2360 horns , I'll post some more pics when it's completed properly

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 10:27am
Oh paint is a very good idea. You wouldnt have to drill the poles than :d
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12