Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding sub to my setup (noob question)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding sub to my setup (noob question)
    Posted: 29 January 2008 at 3:54am
HelloBig%20smile  I'm a total newbie here, forgive me for the long/stupid post :p

Anyway, I was recently given 2 vintage custom Bag-End mid-tops... My friends and I have been using this for a few weeks in a small room and the speakers sound great!... but they completely lack low-end; The kicks hit, but not low at all, and there is no sub-bass.  This is fine just to practice our sets (we DJ), but we're looking to build suitable subs, so we can start throwing medium/small sized events and playing outdoors.

We spin (in no order)Drum and Bass, Dubstep, and Electro (tech house+gritty analog basslines), and are looking to build a couple of bins (with plans to upgrade in the future) for some serious bass (we have a fetish for skull imploding, analog bass).  After doing some reading here, it seems as if going with a couple of 18" scoops would provide the best value for what I'm looking for, but most of what I've read had been information intended for a dub system(long, sustained, deep sub-bass notes).  Would scoops still be my best option with the genres I'm working with, or should I look into other types of enclosures? 

I was specifically looking at building two Hog's, maybe two Superscoops with either PD1850's or V18-1200's inside 'em...thoughts?  I understand the throw on the superscoops might be too far small/medium events, but would be useful outdoors... would this be a problem for me?  Also, since most posts on here regarding scoops are for dub music, would they provide me with enough tight response needed for Electro/House?

Anyway, forgive my newbish-ness, I've never built a speaker that couldnt fit on my shelf, but have been producing music for almost 5 years, DJing for almost 2, and have done a few car audio installsTongue... so the concepts used around this place are somewhat familiar...

Sorry bout the long post...Any insight into my problems/questions would be GREATLY appreciate....Thanks guys...
-asaa

Edited by asaa00 - 29 January 2008 at 8:46am
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 4:56am
Originally posted by asaa00 asaa00 wrote:

HelloBig%20smile  I'm a total newbie here, forgive me for the long/stupid post :p

After doing some reading here, 
  I understand the throw on the superscoops might be too far small/medium events, but would be useful outdoors... would this be a problem for me?  Also, since most posts on here regarding scoops are for dub music, would they provide me with enough tight response needed for Electro/House?

Anyway, forgive my newbish-ness, I've never built a speaker that couldnt fit on my shelf, but have been producing music for almost 5 years, DJing for almost 2, and have done a few car audio installsTongue... so the concepts used around this place are somewhat familiar...

Sorry bout the long post...Any insight into my problems/questions would be GREATLY appreciate....Thanks guys...
-asaa
You read wrong, you have to be on here for a while and look at the name that posted such nonsense before you can believe it

yes scoops will be good for you and small to medium size venues scoops love them
out doors not so good but ok
asaa00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 8:42am
Thanks mykey, scoops sound like the way to go.

Any thoughts on the Hog vs the Superscooper?  I'm leaning towards the Hog simply because of its size and the fact that I'd be one of the first people in the US to run this design...Any other free scoop plans I should be considering?

Also two Hog's would be better than running one Hog and one HD215(for extra kick) in my application, right?

Sorry bout all the questionsConfused and thanks a MILLION

Edited by asaa00 - 29 January 2008 at 8:44am
asaa00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 7:08pm
bump
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 7:58pm
hi

as you in the states you should check which drivers you can get hold of as we in the uk have a different selection of drivers availible here
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 9:05pm

I'm leaning towards the Hog simply because of its size

Also two Hog's would be better than running one Hog and one HD215(for extra kick)

The HD215 would stack better on top of 2 Hogs than 1 lying down that is as they are quite short in height!
If you use 1 Hog, to get the correct height for the mid tops you'd have to stand the HD upright.

Any other free scoop plans I should be considering?

You looked at the USB or ES18-BPH/ES218 ?

Post Reply Post Reply