Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

advice (about screws) to build a box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbb1fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: advice (about screws) to build a box
    Posted: 21 June 2021 at 11:10am
Hey guys,
I'm currently building my first ever speaker box.
Everything is done : box volume is calculated, speakers and vent and terminals are bought, and so is the amplifier.
So is the wood too (18mm chipboard) and the wood glue. Warnex paint is on its way.

What i need to know and have no clue about is how to hold in place speakers, the terminal and the filter when it will be done.
Also, I want to be able to take out the back panel in order to check on the inside and be able to easely isolate one driver by disconneting the other for measure purposes.
can you advise me what I need please and what methods to use ?

Thanks, have a good day.
bin juice24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 11:43am
Not sure chipboard is suitable?
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 2:36pm
Haha chipboard...Well we all have to start somewhere! 
It's a bit harder to join than MDF or plywood because it's so crumbly. But good wood glue and stout 5x40mm screws will do it. Maybe softwood battens along inside of joints too. Pilot holes definitely needed or it'll just split!

For holding your components in place you need M6 T Nuts and hex or allen head bolts (aka machine screws, cap head screws). The T Nut is a metal threaded insert with a flange on the back and prongs to bite into the wood. You drill a 7mm hole and use a bolt with a smear of grease, a big washer and a spanner/key to pull it in. Alternatively you can tap in with a hammer, or use a G clamp to press it in. Then you have an M6 machine thread embedded in your wood panel.

I recommend buying an M6 tap (thread cutter) too - you can run it through the T nut before installation and it will clear out any debris from the threads, ensuring a lifetime of smooth operation. 

Good luck with your build!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 9:13pm
Chipboard won't hold screws into the end cuts so you will need to use solid wood furring strips at each joint, with screws and glue this does produce a solid cab.
 Post Reply Post Reply