Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice needed; re start up system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinding_son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 2:26pm
Thank you, if money wasn’t an issue what would be the best low end amp to power both of them at the same time?

Could I buy something that puts out 2 x 1000w @ 4ohms then and just risk running it?
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 2:32pm
Just to clarify one point, you could run the scoops of any old amplifier, your hifi amp etc, a more powerful amp will just move the cone more and play louder, the 1000 watt rating is a max rating with reference to the manufacturers  test criteria. There is NO MINIMUM on the required amplifier power.
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Just to clarify one point, you could run the scoops of any old amplifier, your hifi amp etc, a more powerful amp will just move the cone more and play louder, the 1000 watt rating is a max rating with reference to the manufacturers  test criteria. There is NO MINIMUM on the required amplifier power.
Well said. Tbh, for compressed bass heavy dance music I'm not a fan of the often quoted rule of thumb which is giving the speaker 2 X its AES rating. This is asking for trouble in my opinion. I've heard my 18nlw9000s sounding a bit fruity with a 1300w amp channel for each running just under clip. They are rated at 1200w AES and would die a death if they had access to a full 2400w.
OP can use any amp so long as he doesn't clip it :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Blinding_son Blinding_son wrote:

Thank you, if money wasn’t an issue what would be the best low end amp to power both of them at the same time?

Could I buy something that puts out 2 x 1000w @ 4ohms then and just risk running it?

That would be approx. only 500w 8r stereo though... if I was buying an amp just for those drivers I'd want something which could do either 1kw+ 8r stereo or 2kw+ 4r stereo (then you could run them both in parallel off one channel and run tops off the other channel).

Or two smaller amps bridged into each as we discussed earlier.

Do you want a lightweight SMPS amp or a heavyweight toroidal amp is the first question?
An SAE PCM 13 would do the job for lightweight. Not easy to find used and about £700 new.
You could run the whole rig off a thomann TSA1300-4 too at £400 with 3yr warranty. The SAE is a much better amp.
Not many options for cheap SMPS amps, even used ones don't come up often.

As for toroidal amps (30kg odd to run both at once) a new thomann proline 3000 is pretty good value.
On the used side you could look for a QSC RMX5050.

There may be other amps about too... these are off the top of my head though.

1kw+ per channel at 8r is at the upper end of most toroidal amps tbh. Many at that power will be larger than 2u and over 30kg. Most toroidal amps for sale are smaller than that.

Edited by charlysays - 13 December 2017 at 3:30pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 6:00pm

I have recently started building up my first sound system and could do with a bit of advice.

I jumped straight in and bought 2 super scoops (Just cabs) for £150.
I then bought 2 x 18" drivers after looking at the recommended list.
The drivers are:
1 x Fane Colossus 18XB 1000w
1 x Fane Colossus 18SB 1000w

Luckily I found a powered mixer and 2 full range speakers next to a skip a couple of weeks before.
They work fine after changing the fuse in the mixer but aren't very powerful.
I have put the 2 x 12" drivers from the full range speakers into a single cabinet and built a cabinet for the horns.

I have purchased a behringer super x pro for the crossover.

If you plan to run all the speakers via the active crossover you need 3 amp channels minimum for a mono stack so that is a pair of 2 ch amps or a single 4ch job. The other thing is the horns only require a fraction of the power the subs need so you could get by with 1 large amp and 1 small.. or maybe you could even use the amp in the powered mixer for the horns. Another good option on budget would be the Berry nu4-6k, the XB18s would be underpowered at 1/ch but you'll never hurt them and still be able to make plenty of noise. You could potentially bridge a pair of channels into the XBs and get a lot more out of them and with the other channels loafing along not doing much it should be pretty stable. No comments on sound quality but this is a starter rig on a shoe string budget so you could do worse.
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:56pm

inuke 6000 will power fane xb easily 1 per channel Smile
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Blinding_son View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinding_son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:36pm
Thanks for the advice.

I'd prefer to purchase the Inuke but just don't think I will be able to any time soon.
I have seen a skytec 3000 for sale and wondered if this would be okay?

Thanks
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:05pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... skytec specs are bullshit at best. Dont do it!!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinding_son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:31pm
Is it worth me looking for a better quality amp that puts out something up or around 2 x 600w at 8ohm then? As these will be used for more house parties and small events?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:54pm

Is it worth me looking for a better quality amp that puts out something up or around 2 x 600w at 8ohm then? As these will be used for more house parties and small events?

Used C-audio, Matrix UKP, Citronic... even pulse!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinding_son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:28pm
I have just been offered a Peavey PV2600 for £200.
Whats everyone's opinions and will it be enough power for what is required?

Thanks again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 4:15pm

I have just been offered a Peavey PV2600 for £200.
Whats everyone's opinions and will it be enough power for what is required?

Thanks again

It's not really powerful enough no... 2 X 550w @8r. Would be alright for a house party though and has useful filters and clip limiters built in.

they also meet their specs if run off a decent 13a supply.

However whilst they claim to have all sorts of protection built in they blow up like a grenade due to minor failures/ issues which a better designed amp would contain and therefore be economically repairable. Once they go, it's like a domino effect and everything gets fried.
Furthermore they are badly designed from the point of view of working on them.

I had two of them and whilst both kept running and sounded good they both had this weird issue of prematurely showing the clip light on channel A. Noone ever got to the bottom of this, though they were bench tested and found to not be clipping prematurely on the output. I ignored the channel A clip lights, engaged the clip limiter to be safe and just went by the channel B light. Glad I don't have them anymore and just about recouped my money hiring them out then selling them as 'working wounded' spares or repairs on ebay.

£200 is sort of alright if it's working perfectly (clip the amp with no speakers plugged in to check A & B start clipping at the same time). I would be happier with it at £150 but as I said don't expect it to be a long term trooper like a Berry EP2500 or a QSC RMX, Matrix etc etc.

Edited by charlysays - 14 December 2017 at 4:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>