Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on building a wheelie bin sound syst

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Final_Animal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on building a wheelie bin sound syst
    Posted: 09 February 2024 at 8:10pm

Hi all. I'm trying to put together a portable speaker system for performance at festivals. The system is going in a 150 litre plastic wheelie bin (a plastic trash can in US English) lined with sound deadening material and with the sub enclosed in a wooden enclosure.

I'm brand new to diy audio systems, and basically don't know the ins and outs of how to calculate power requirements.

• Amplifier(s): Behringer NX3000D 3000 Watts (2 x 1500 Watts @ 2 Ohms; 2 x 900 Watts @ 4 Ohms; 3000 Watts into 4 Ohms bridge mode)

• 3 Mid range drivers: the box 15LB075-UW4 Speaker 15" (300 watts, 4 ohms)

• 2 Tweeters: JBL Selenium ST200 Super Tweeter (70 watt rating, 8 Ohms)

• Sub: Eminence Kilomax - Pro 18A, 18" Speaker 1250Watt/8Ohm, 33Hz - 600Hz

Does the build below look like a sensible build? If I have a 1250 watt sub, 3x300 watt tweeters, and 4x70 watt tweeters, how many amplifiers do I need to power the system?

The Behringer amp I've listed provides 2 channels of 1500 watt power - so one channel could power the sub and the other can power the drivers and tweeters which have a total power requirement (if I'm not mistaken) of 1180 watts? I'm not 100% sure how to calculate the impedance.

I'm at a stage where I don't know what I don't know if you get me, and while I'm reading up and watching tutorials, it's something that I will ideally have ready in a month for festival applications so I'm on the clock at the moment. Any advice or insight at all would be greatly appreciated!

Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2024 at 11:08pm
Yep..... we have a wheelie bin sound system built by Richie out of D.I.Y HiFi. he didn't go down the road of making his own mid-tops...just re-housed car speakers. Subs are 2 x 12" in a ported wooden box. Car amps run off a small li-po batt which is at the bottom of the bin. Solar panel & charge control keep it chgging along in daytime

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
 Post Reply Post Reply