Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advices for my first subwoofer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pivaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advices for my first subwoofer
    Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:06pm
Hello guys,
I'm from italy and i'm new here... I have 2 montarbo w17a and i want to build sub or subs for them... I play different kinds of music like tekno,DnB,future house, house, edm and techno. I think horn subwoofers are the correct choice but i want to hear the opinion of experts in audio builds in this forum.Smile

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 6:51pm
I'd keep it simple and build something like the B&C sub 18, easy to build, should integrate well with your existing speakers, scalable should you ever wish to enlarge the system and I would have thought you could get some nice drivers (RCF) to load them with quite cheaply where you are.
Pivaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pivaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:11pm
For building there is no problem, i have a friend that has an angular saw and i also have some skills in wood buildings. For the amplifier i thougt t o go with a powersoft k10 (here in italy is aviable used at good prices).
For the B&C sub 18" project do you mean the single bass reflex 18 one?
Today when i was searching for some project ideas i came across the super bass horn v.2, i think this one is a good soloution for getting a good amount of spl and efficence under 50hz without using too much power...

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:26pm
I was suggesting the single 18 reflex plan from B&C mainly because I think that type of enclosure will be better suited to your existing tops and will work well for any genre of music, unless you're planning on upgrading your tops then a horn cab I think would be overkill. 

Welcome to the forum by the way. Smile
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:30pm
I’ve got 4 unloaded b&c sub 18s with grills £200 if you’re interested pm me.
Pivaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pivaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:32pm
Thanks man i'm grateful to be in this forum, i calculated the maximum spl at full power of 2 b&c sub 18 with 18sw115 and it came out 130 db/enclousure 133db/pair at 1 mt.. now my tops have the same spl as the subs... Shouldn't be the subs 3db greater or more than the tops? 
For having 3db of spl more than the tops i should build 4 subs and that's too much expensive for me and i will have to buy another k10...

Post Reply Post Reply