Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advise on adding sub to 2.1 Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLGTRAINED2KIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise on adding sub to 2.1 Setup
    Posted: 27 December 2019 at 1:12pm
Hi All, 

Currently very much a newbie to the audio world and am seeking some advice. 

I currently have the KEF LSX hooked up to my Computer via an optical cable, and whilst the sound is very good for active monitors, I want to add a sub to enhance the low end. 

I want the sub purely for music, it will serve no purpose to me to watch movies or anything else. Whilst I want the low end to be there, I want it to be as seamless as possible, and enhance the sound of the whole system, but also able to match the speed of the LSX.

I wanted to know the following 

-> What subs could you recommend with the above spec, my budget is really about £250 at the most, unless I'm told that I'm way off that with above spec, in which case lets move to £500, and I'll get saving. The size of my room is 24 meters. 

Unfortunately, I am somewhat tied in terms of where I can put the sub, and it would have to be under my Computer desk (Pictures attached). I do realize that this isn't ideal in terms of placement, and that the crawl test would provide optimal positioning however the mrs's would have something to say about that as the room is quite open. 

-> Do I *NEED* a certain type of sub? For example at my dad's home, he has an amp for home cinema, which the sub is connected to, whereas I am connecting directly to my Computer via Optical. So whilst there is a sub out port on the Master speaker, are there certain sub's that I cannot directly port into?

My First post on this site, so I appreciate everyone's patience, and look forward to hearing from you guys :).

MLGTRAINED2KIL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLGTRAINED2KIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 12:12am
bump
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 12:21am
What sub is in the same range of kef speakers you already have? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLGTRAINED2KIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 12:28pm
KEF Kube 2 or KEF kube 8b, but I’m not too sure to be honest. 

I know KEF make those subs though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLGTRAINED2KIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 11:27am
Bump?
DNbshaggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DNbshaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 1:09pm
You should get a f1 218 Thumbs Up
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 1:45pm
Since when was the F1 218 a sub? 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
DNbshaggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DNbshaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Since when was the F1 218 a sub? 

Ok, but it would make a great computer desk...
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by DNbshaggy DNbshaggy wrote:

You should get a f1 218 Thumbs Up

There’s not many boxes that would be worse for this situation than a F218.

Something like a Logic 1296SB would work. Might find one for the £250-£500 mark too.

If you have a bit more money then a WS18X would rock also.

Please also note you will need to price up amplification and DSP for these sort of boxes.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLGTRAINED2KIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 9:22am
Cheers for that. 

So would I need both of these, despite the fact the KEF are powered monitors. Thinking about how I would connect it all? Auxiliary from sub out to dsp, then from dsp to amp, and then speakers? 

Also struggling to find these online, could you send a picture. 

Really appreciate the solid answer on this one pal. 

Cheers, 
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 6:46pm
Read the manual for your speakers. They have a mono rca sub out which you can connect to any active hifi/home cinema sub. Try this forum for advice https://www.avforums.com/threads/help-which-sub-for-a-pair-of-kef-lsx-speakers.2215924/

Post Reply Post Reply