Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Age old question, first time rig build.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:07pm
That's really the wrong thinking for building a sound system though.

A good reflex build can look absolutely stunning, it just takes care and attention to detail, With horns you can get away with being crass and it'll still look belting from a distance. With reflex people will only really appreciate the aesthetics if they get up close and see it's been done really well.

Or if you really design and operate the system well, they'll remember the sound and not give a toss about how it looks. That's what happened with me and Opus and I see you had the same experience. I came to associate the fairly rough and ready but well built minimalist aesthetic with stonking good sound quality!
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:14pm
Agreed opus isnt much to look at just fuzzy boxes but my god my ears are in love with them :)

http://opusjody.wixsite.com/opuspocus/the-opuspocus-sound-system

So i have now settled on a full reflex system though can't seem to find any 12" MT plans they all seem to be full range or am i missing something?

Next decision which drivers... which in turn decides the cabs i guess. do i stick to a full rig with recomended cabs for all B&C drivers or all Fane drivers for example or are there any benefit to mixing brands and cab designs for example choosing B&C 18" sub cabs alongside PD 15" Kicks etc...

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:26pm
Mixing driver brands will definitely give better results if you know what you're doing, for the simple reason that you've opened up your range of options enormously, but you could also find yourself drowning in possibilities that way.

Manufacturers may be said to have a certain 'sound' due to their particular tooling and development processes, but it's entirely possible that their sound on the midrange plays well with the sound of another manufacturer on the bass, etc etc.
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:41pm
Just as i suspected. I may have opened up 50 cans of worms here thinking it was a good idea to build a rig haha.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 12:08am
You can worry about these things too much though. Lots of people have built rigs very similar so just make a thread with that specific question if none of them stop by here - do what worked great for someone else. Opus Jody is quite open about his driver selections so why not ask the man himself? Apparently a lot of the magic is in crossover design and analog processing though.

Edited by Hemisphere - 12 November 2017 at 12:09am
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 12:29am
Yeah i can believe that, im just looking through driver manufacturer cab designs now. I shall ask him next time i see him, i dont think he really has an online presence anymore. that last bit went over my head.. haha
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Apparently a lot of the magic is in crossover design and analog processing though.
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 2:23am
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

He certainly did! The G-sub on this site is a well proven cab; 

https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=gsub  

As is the X12;

https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=x12   

If you were to run a pair of G-subs per side with a quite highly tuned double 15 on top of those and then an X12 on top of that loaded with some high sensitivity 12's and a good quality 1.4" you would have one hell of system. Smile

If i built these cabs what would you recomend for the double 15"s i do like the G-sub and x12
also what would the crossovers be?

Edited by Khyber - 12 November 2017 at 2:25am
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Khyber Khyber wrote:

Cheers again everyone for all the input.
Why is it most people build full rigs with horns then? is it purelly due to being aesthetically pleasing?

No not just for the looks. You can project/throw the sound further with horn loaded and in a block of 6 can sound devastating. Horns can be more efficiently i.e use less amp power and can be used to control the dispersion of the sound more accurately. notice the bold can's ;)

Anyway as everyone else has said it will be 100% easier for you to start with a relfex. A good reflex can sound lovely. Your getting some good advice in this thread. 

Another reflex plan to look at is fane 18 en1801 box. You can pick up the 18XB drivers second hand quite cheaply.The pdf's are here http://www.fane-international.com/resources
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:07pm
Thanks i have checked out all the fane plans some are really nice :). Evem primted them all out to compare etc... Just to throw a spanner in the works, as i already know barely anything how stupid would it be to learn winisd and some theory then design my own cabs? i do like to jump in at the deep end. I would relish the feeling of accomplishing my first build even more if i learnt how to design my own cabs around some drivers. Im mainly just keeping my options open as im not in a massive rush to start the build. I want to learn as much as i can first and make sure i build a dream rig first time round.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:16pm
That is a great idea, it's easy to use, build your own is the way to go, anyone can copy a plan :)

Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:35pm
Yeah if anyone is gonna cut a sheet too short it would be me... 3 times in a row haa. I think i might explore that idea more first i can whip up plans in sketch up in no time. Now time to learn some more theory arghh... wheres that search button ;) thanks a million everyone. learnt alot aready. Off to the drawing board. I trust i can get sound advice once i have a basic plan and designs down so ill most likely post in the new projects board. To finish of this thread hit me with your favourite drivers...
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Originally posted by Khyber Khyber wrote:

I want to learn as much as i can first and make sure i build a dream rig first time round.

Yes, essentially this is the goal but making a few mistakes doesn't kill you (hopefully) and can be fun too.

EDIT : I don't mean one should make mistakes deliberately.. of course it's frustrating to cut a sheet too short etc.. which shouldn't, but can happen.

i imagine atleast one or two cabs making the scrap pile before they are finished.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>