Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Age old question, first time rig build.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 7:53pm
Hi. Here's what I'd advise, as a roadmap to putting your rig together.

1. get 2 x full range, passive speakers. Not much point self building, as passive crossovers are a bitch. Something with a decent compression driver, and one cone, 15" or 12".
Ply, not chipboard.
'vintage' branded speakers can be really high quality, with nice components, and a decent passive crossover, and can be relatively cheap. Think JBL, Martin, Peavey, EV, etc.

'Baby bums', for example.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201416107592617&set=o.165409670181751&type=3&theater

or something like this:

Reasons? The designers in most of the older 'brands' were really good at passive crossover design, & drivers, imo.
Also, they're cheap as chips to buy now, and built before the accountants moved in, & insisted on everything being built in China out of shite.

2. build 2 x bass reflex speakers. Gsubs? or design your own. You can choose your dimensions to suit the tops, & people here will work out the port dimensions for you. 2 cones each, 15's or 18's.
Don't think that 15's are sub standard. All mine are 15's, & I do 1000 person dance tents easy enough.
They're also much easier to do smaller gigs, go up stairs, & load into the van.
cones? Cheap & remarkably good - JBL 2226
expensive - 18sound, Ciare, Faital.
go for neo, if poss, & copper coils.

3. 2 amps & a crossover, and you're up & running.
Try & get a bass amp that's happy at 2Ω, if poss.

4. add 2 more identical bass speakers, because reflex works best when they're all the same. ;)

5. 2 more amps, and buy or build some tops, with 2 x 10's / 12's and a decent compression driver on a horn. Now you can go 3 way, and use your previous tops as DJ monitors. ;)

6. 1 more bass amp, same as the other bass amp, and 2 or 4 more bass speakers, again, the same as the others, and you'll have all sorts of stacking possibilities, for all those different roof heights.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1193382362698&set=a.1153113716007.2021779.1472585533&type=3&theater

Then, if you still want to add to it, some sort of silly-subs to go under the stack, or run separately in the centre.

:p

Good luck.
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 8:00pm
So that's why they put Mitsubishi logos on pills! LOL
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:31pm
MIniture girl....
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:46pm
"3' Bijin"?
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 9:51am
Cheers Jody sound advice :) i certainly know your system holds up to a 1000 ;) you arent doing noetic flux next week for shippy amd onney are you? I think shippy is running his opus.id just pay you for a rig if i could afford haha always wanted to run an opus rig.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123