Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airflow in Amp racks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airflow in Amp racks
    Posted: 20 February 2020 at 8:39pm
Hi guys.

I have just received the last 3 out of 4 new Dynacord L2800FD DSP amps.
So now its time to order new racks, panels and all the bells and whistles.

But first i need to figure out how they shall be geared up.
I would like to have 2 unit racks, with a 1 unit connection panel and a 1 unit vent panel, both on the back.
But the question is, will a 1 unit vent panel be enough to give proper airflow and cooling?
Or should i step it up and get 3 unit racks, put a 1unit vent on top of the amp, and connection panel on the back with a 2 unit vent.
Or connections on the front and 3 unit vent on the back.

Only issue with connections on the front, is that the amp do stick a good bit out in front of the rack rails.
callumtruds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 11:09pm
Personally I don't think you'll have issues with cooling using only the 1u vent out the back because of the area of the fans. But if running it flat out at 2 ohms into subs it may get hot, 
Ideally try running the amp hard with 2u cooling vs only 1u and see if there's a temperature difference.

Assuming you'll only need 8 connectors max in the 1u patch panel you could drill vent holes in the remaining space at the sides too. 

Alternatively looking at the back of those amps there's a fan on each side of the amp, you could make a custom 2u panel for the rear with connectors in the middle section and vents on either side where fans are blowing. Bit of work in that though!  

Advantage to only using 2u racks is space mainly & you dont need to support the amp from the rear like you would need to in a 3u rack 

Hope this helps somewhat 

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 1:55am

What I would do is close the back of the rack with the lid and, have the amplifiers idle for one hour with no rear air flow. After an hour, I would check the amplifier's temperature. If, the amplifiers are Luke-warm, I would use one vent panel equipped with two muffin fans. If the amplifier's feel hot, I would use two vent panels each equipped with muffin fans.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 7:28am
Adding forced airflow to the rear patch panel can cause more issues than you solve, unless you can calculate the volume of air being moved by the internal fans at a given temperature and match it with the external fans then don't do it. Having the external fans moving more air than the internal ones is as bad as them not moving as much, either scenario is problematic and will interfere with the amplifiers cooling system.

Assuming the amplifier sucks in from the back and exhausts out of the front then you will be fine with one highly perforated 1RU vent panel alongside a 1RU patch panel.

Edited by csg - 21 February 2020 at 7:29am
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 12:23pm
It is very common in the States and the Caribbean to have the back of the amp racks sealed with the only means of ventilation is a muffin fan(s). It is more of an atheistic thing why many choose to add multiple blank panels on the back of the amp rack.

That last thing you want is the amplifier to do is suffocate for it will ramp into protect mode sporadically.  

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 21 February 2020 at 12:26pm
Elliot Thompson
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 8:04pm
I'd be doing a vented door if I had to 'blank' the rear. But really no one should be seeing it anyway
Personally I'd go 4u with vented dishes on the back door, and a 2u i/o panel on the front.
Nothing worse than not been able to get to the back. 

Edited by Digbethdave - 21 February 2020 at 8:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply