Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-level sub project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Rolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-level sub project
    Posted: 15 September 2004 at 11:59am

Hi

I've set myself the challenge of building a powerful but compact sub for my a-level project.

I know very little about cabinet design etc so it will form part of my research to learn about this.

Basically I'm just asking for any advice you have or suggestions for cabinet design.  The cabinets simply got to be as small as possible but as powerful as possible (preferable about 1000w RMS).

It will eventually be used for mobile discos.

Thanks

Chris

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 1:33pm

The X1 on the speakerplans site is wicked.  Rog may give you some details about its design if you decide to go this way, currently he is at PLASA.  The cabinet will be substantially over 25kg in weight, so you will need several mates to help you lift it around, and you will need an amplifier to drive it, and an electronic crossover to send the bass past of the audio into the amp for the sub, and the rest elsewhere.

"Sub" and "small" go together like "teenager" and "tidy bedroom".

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 1:57pm

'Sub' and 'small' can go together very well.... as long as you don't expect serious output and at least 'some' efficiency from it.....

A small sub can go deep but can't be efficient. If a high powered speaker is in there you can get some SPL by giving lots of power to it. Better would be a bigger sub with higher efficiency speaker AND this high power rating.....

whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 2:20pm

An X1 with a V18-1000 driver would be the ultimate, or you can use the P-Audio C18 650EL driver, which will not be as loud, but is a lot cheaper and requires less amplifier power to work properly.

Jamie

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 6:49pm

Quote I've set myself the challenge of building a powerful but compact sub for my a-level project.
First of all, what do you call compact?

Efficiency, cabinet size and low frequency response, stand together in a sort of triangle. You can make a speaker cabinet very efficient/high SPLmax and at the same time very small, but you won't get any low out of it. Or you can make it small with excellent low frequency response, but without a serious efficiency/SPLmax.

Personally I don't mind giving in a little efficiency in trade for compactness. For me a 50x60x60 cm, 18" bas reflex sub which will bring me down to 40 Hz (-6dB), and produce little over 126 dB, with around 1000Wrms, is good enough for my purpose/ music style and at the same time, I would call it compact. Some other people would totally disagree about this, because it's really personal.

To help you properly, we need more information from you. If you can tell us what size the audience will be, what your definition of compact is and what music style it has to reproduce at what level (wedding or eyeball shaking), we can give you an advise that will help you further.

Cheers

Chris Rolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Rolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2004 at 8:15pm

Thanks for all your advice so far.

The sub will be used for general disco use so for a wide range of music genres.  It will be used with a pair of 12" tops.

By compact I mean preferably no larger than 2ftx2ftx2ft.

I would like to use a 15" eminence kilomax if possible, but I know this requires a large cabinet etc.

What do you think?

Thanks

Chris

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 7:54pm
I would stay away from anything named KKilomax. It's like a red badge saying 'Unefficient'. That means lots of power needed for mediocre output....
nightline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 11:13am

I think its better to go for a double 15"  a side or a single 18" to get enough SPL on the low end. For disco use I would go for double 15" a side, this will go low enough and give a nice kick at the upper bass.

Goodluck

Jack

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Rolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 3:56pm

Double 15" sounds good but what would be the smallest cab I could make bearing in mind im looking for around 1Kw RMS?

Thanks for all your help so far

Chris

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 4:26pm

A 2 x 15" reflex cab typically comes in at under 4' x 2' x 2'.

If you were to build these individually as two 1 x 15" cabinets, they would come in under your 2' x 2' x 2' size, and this also makes them easier to move and store.  However you end up using more wood and additional cabinet fittings, and have more connectors and cables, which makes setting up slightly longer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Rolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 8:18pm

I dont really want to go a lot over 2x2x2 so unless I can put two 15" drivers in a small cabinet I'll have to go with a single.

What would be a good driver, preferably not over 200pounds.  Needs to be as powerful as possible.

Thanks

Chris

whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 8:25pm
Perhaps the P Audio C15 600EL?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>