Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

altec lansing compression drivers & horns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: altec lansing compression drivers & horns
    Posted: 02 September 2007 at 3:10pm
   Greetings to all pro audio peeps.
Does anyone of you uses altec lansing
compression drivers & horns?Any comments
on this things?Are they any good at all?
                                                Thanks!!
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2007 at 3:55pm
yes,excellent,but they are now around 30 years old,so there are much newer and better drivers on the market nowdays,but the Altecs still have a following amongst hifi collectors....i dont think many pro-audio people use them now....just too hard to get a genuine diaphramm now if you need one.
Be seeing you.
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2007 at 4:14pm
       Thanks jbl man,I find them very attractive!Those 511b horns are that very handsome to my eyes.Im just wondering how would they sound in the real world.
        Soundwise,are they worth using?
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2007 at 4:57pm
 err..well they are big and heavy,with a 90x40* pattern...yes they will still work...might suffer from some resonances due to the cast alloy construction....probually best to use them above 1.2khz to avoid harshness.i think the modern trend is towards smaller and lighter hf.

Be seeing you.
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2007 at 8:55pm

Just a general FYI:

Radian offers replacement diaphragms for some of the Altec Lansing comp. driver range..

Horns etc: Forget it.. Big, heavy and some nasty resonances..   If you have some of these things, you might be able to unload them to some HIFI nutter w. a tube amp fetish, and make more than enough to get something a bit more modern..

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
rebelbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 2:28am
I still have 4 288 (1.4") and 3 808 (1') compression drivers,just got diaphragms need to ab them to one that works and see how it sounds.old,heavy,ugly but they sounded pretty good (not a TAD but not 800$ to repair blown). As for the steel multicell horns...if ya gotta use them,coat the outside with car undercoating or something,if I remember correctly they "rang" if you tried to get them loud. deadening the metal helped.
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2007 at 9:47am
All the info you need & more @

Lansing Heritage Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
 Post Reply Post Reply