Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AMD Crossfire X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMD Crossfire X
    Posted: 12 September 2016 at 6:16pm
My current machine spec is AMD FX8370, MSi 970 Gaming mobo, 1250w modular power supply, various HDD's, hybrids and solid states and 2x saphhire 7850hd 2gb with the crossfire x ribbon cable. Im having issues now i have the second card powered up. I had initially bought both cards but only had the power plugged in on one.

For instance in the new Rainbow six when tweaking graphics settings it gives an indication of memory used so it will say down the bottom 1.9gb used of 2gb. However now i have powered up the second card and enabled crossfire in crimson control centre when i go to play rainbow 6 it says i only have 1gb of graphics memory? What?? It should be 4gb now right?

Think ill sell them and go back to a single card if i cant sort this. maybe its a bios issue but i cant find the option in the bios.

cheers
WWW.T8Audio.Com
tomr_29 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomr_29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2016 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Thomas Hosker Thomas Hosker wrote:

My current machine spec is AMD FX8370, MSi 970 Gaming mobo, 1250w modular power supply, various HDD's, hybrids and solid states and 2x saphhire 7850hd 2gb with the crossfire x ribbon cable. Im having issues now i have the second card powered up. I had initially bought both cards but only had the power plugged in on one.

For instance in the new Rainbow six when tweaking graphics settings it gives an indication of memory used so it will say down the bottom 1.9gb used of 2gb. However now i have powered up the second card and enabled crossfire in crimson control centre when i go to play rainbow 6 it says i only have 1gb of graphics memory? What?? It should be 4gb now right?

Think ill sell them and go back to a single card if i cant sort this. maybe its a bios issue but i cant find the option in the bios.

cheers

When you run multiple cards in crossfire or SLI the memory doesn't double-up. Each graphics processor will have its own on-board memory (in this case the 2GB) and the data stored in it will be mirrored on each card. It's also a common mis-sell on dual-GPU cards where the available process memory is actually half that advertised because it's two processors each with its own RAM.

That doesn't explain why it's only reading 1GB though. I have found games / applications before which incorrectly identify the installed system RAM or graphics RAM due to driver issues or Windows limiting available resources. Unfortunately it's a long time since I worked with ATI / AMD hardware so I'm not familiar with their latest software.

Have you tried running something like GPU-Z to check what memory capacity the graphics driver and OS are seeing?
Proper capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
www.facebook.com/tremoracoustics
 Post Reply Post Reply