Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munchdnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp help
    Posted: 08 May 2020 at 5:51pm
Hi so I am trying to create a small setup for bbqs/small parties in my garden. I currently have 2x Funktion 1 res 1's and I'm struggling with what to look for in terms of amps/processors.

I am new to this so if you could include any explanations/reasons on what you would get I'd really appreciate it. 

I was thinking either an FFA4004 or 6004 and an XTA DP-226 Processor?

Basically I have a set of cdjs and a mixer and I am wanting to play this through the speakers - if anyone could point me in some direction in what I need to make these speakers work and sound nice it'd be really appreciated. Thanks for reading, all the best.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 6:30pm
If you don't have the passive crossover modules for these you will need 4 amp channels and a DSP but you don't need thousands of watts, these things will get loud connected to a home theater receiver. Unless of course you want LOUD.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 8:02pm
FFA6004 DSPG2 would do you well.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 11:40am
I'd jump straight for Powersoft T series amps. Plenty of grunt, lovely DSP, 1U. What's not to like?

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:21am
how close are the neighbours? LOL

would be annoying to drop a few grand on amps just to get shut down after half an hour...... maybe a 5.1 or higher channel home theater receiver with discrete inputs would indeed be the way to go first. And a DSP of course....
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

I'd jump straight for Powersoft T series amps. Plenty of grunt, lovely DSP, 1U. What's not to like?

Chris

Anything from Powersoft (except their K series, K10, K20) is a joke-ware in terms of power level, delivering real SPL.

Same *sad trajectory* just like current cars, downgrading from reliable & well working 6 cylinders engines >> down to 3 or less..
!But have nice large displays inside :-DDD
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:12am
Have a look at Dynacord L-FD DSP series. I have a couple of Them, and they are doing great. Yes they are a bit Heavy.. But you get alot for your money.
IMO you get a much better product than with many other brands doing mid level amps.

You dont get as many hollow watts as in Berry, PKN, and other shiney brands, but you get what it says on the box 🙂

I have been driving 4x Turbosound TSW718 on a L3600FD DSP for some time now. 2ohm stable and doing it for 7-9 hours straight again and again. 
Really good working setup with a very acceptable price tag.

The L2800FD DSP is great on mid/hi duty. It lacks a little bit of grunt for the low-end, but it shines when given some 15“ Horns to Play with. Very very good control and a crisp thump :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:19am
Well, U.Viktor, my direct experience with the T-series says different.

They're not designed for welding, and if you try to measure them in the same way as Macrotechs, then they probably won't do so well.
They are designed for music, with transients.

If you listen to full-power test tones for hours on end, then I'm happy to agree that these are not the amplifiers for you. If, however, you listen to music, then I'm certain they'll do the job very well.

FWIW, the DSP on the T-series is lovely. FIR processing, limiting that looks at how much power the speakers are soaking up, options to change the output impedance to compensate for long cables, software management etc etc.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 11:10am
Even the K series have not designed for welding..
I just say that Powersoft dropped the ball and specify its newer amplifiers with very narrow duty cycles,
not even 8:32 (1KHz) which is somewhat standard and means that the can do at least 250W continuous from the rated 1000W for example.
I would say that there are frequent applications, fatter speakers and signals amplified when even 8:32 capability is weak.. and if your amp can do something like 4:64.. that is definetly *NOT enough*

When you have no power, DSP will not help

Edited by U.Viktor - 11 May 2020 at 11:11am
munchdnb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munchdnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 7:35pm
Thanks for the replies guys I managed to get hold of a FFA-6004 G2 cheers.
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 11:43am
U Viktor, what is this 8:32 and 4: 64 business?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 1:42pm
One of the ways of measuring amplifiers is with burst signals. 8ms on, 32ms off, etc.

It can be a fairly useful way of seeing how much power amplifiers will deliver for a fairly short time, like a snare or kick drum hit.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>