Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Hum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2024 at 10:31am
As Conanski said, if it is the Peavey driver with the 3 bolts then there is a tiny bit of movement if you loosen them. I've had a lot of BW drivers over the years, and sometime a rubbing coil can be cured just by moving the magnet a fraction and retightening the bolts.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2024 at 11:16am
I have seen loads of Peavey Black Widow drivers over the years with Voice coil rub and distortion---They have got to be the worst driver ever designed as it is so easy for the magnet to move very slightly and cause this problem due to the holes being way too big in tolerance.
We always used to carefully remove the bolts completely and take the magnet off---you can then clean both the voice coil and the gap in the magnet(use an old business card for this) and then very carefully re-assemble with steady hands using the same method as car cylinder head gasket refitting---a bit at a time tightening each bolt whilst checking for any rubbing at the same time.
If you screw up then don't worry as the magnet will always come in useful once a year as they are great for holding tall false Xmas tree bases to prevent from toppling over---I always have a little smile every year when assembling our tree as it is about all that the Peavey magnets are good for.
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2024 at 12:27pm
Ha I was going to use them as dumbells…the joys of Sound System hey!

If it unrepairable It’s a pain too with them being from the Peavey Hys RX2 as you just don’t see them on the market very often. I was wondering if I switched to something like Eminence Delta or a 15” that is more readily available but even then I have to stump up the money for x4 to have a balanced sound!
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2024 at 12:44pm
Eminence Delta 15 would be fine for midbass. I got a 4x bundle of Celestion FTR153070C for £90 each from Nigel @leanbusiness which would work well for that application.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2024 at 1:51pm
Thanks I’ll bare it in mind if I get to that stage and weigh up options of selling x1 Peavey driver then Refitting other x2 into the old boxes I kept and put the cash towards new x4! Just had look at them and I don’t see them that cheap was the price a while ago or do you have to contact direct to haggle?
Fingers crossed on the fix working!
When it comes to lower priced mid driver's are Eminence & Celestion the best choice?
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2024 at 2:44pm
It was around 2 years ago, and things seem to have had a big bump in price. Give him a bell when you're after something and have a chat. He's a knowledgeable chap and often buys bulk end of line etc.
  Do have a go at moving the magnet on yours first. There may not be any need to remove it. First, just press down on the cone gently with even pressure across it i.e don't just push one side. Pushing down with all 5 fingers where the dust cap meets the cone should do it. Compared the feeling to the one that isn't distorting. You will be able to tell if its rubbing.
  If it is then just loosen the bolts and rotate the magnet a fraction. Unless the VC is badly burnt or deformed, it may do the trick.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2024 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

If it unrepairable It’s a pain too with them being from the Peavey Hys RX2 as you just don’t see them on the market very often. 

You have to look for the driver specifically, the 1505-8 KADT and new replacement baskets are still available to buy. I had a pair of these drivers that were in rough shape, I bought the 1505-8 DT replacement baskets instead of the KADT version, this longer voice coil version produces a better mid/bass driver and is a direct bolt on.

The closest Eminence driver to these is the Kappa Pro15(not the LF version).. I have some of these as well. The steel frame Kappa 15a may also be pretty close at a lower cost. In a Celestion the TF1530 looks similar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2024 at 5:40pm

I have found a replacement basket at £200 as they are imported and not readily available in UK.

The code they have on the side is ‘Peavey 1508 4 SPS BWX’ as they are 4ohm

https://peavey.com/product/1508-4-sps-bwx/

I actually have Eminence Pro 15 in my W Bins as part of my Bass. 

I’m going to continue to look for a pair of speakers as I got the last pair for £180 so makes financial sense, ok they may be used but means I’d have x2.

I presume if I did go for Eminence I couldn’t just add one in?

Andry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2024 at 9:21pm
I've had a pair of Peavey 118XT equipped with 18" 350W 4ohm Black Widow drivers and they sounded nice enough at low power, but they were not up to task for a PA event.
They ultimattely died of the all-so-brilliant magnet shifting and rubbing on the VC, at a time when they were rented out. 
That was the first time I opened them up and saw their build.
I discarded the drivers and used something else in the same bins.

I would say it's not worth getting them fixed for the amount of money you find recone kits for; you can get much better drivers for that money.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2024 at 9:48am
I still haven’t taken Driver out and done the recommended trouble shooting but the Rip type distortion sound has now gone and original Hum is now back on one channel of the bass amp?

Has the voice coil/magnet moved realigned? Why is the original hum back?

I guess I will have to individually trouble shoot each piece of equipment and speaker.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2024 at 9:36am
Is the hum present when theres nothing plugged into the amplifier's input?

Is the hum only on one channel? (have you swapped the loads to checkl it isn't still driver related.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2024 at 2:27pm
Yeah need to trouble shoot it, it is one channel so will isolate it go through all the combinations of when it’s present and try to narrow down! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12