Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Internals 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 260>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2020 at 4:49pm
yes they're a bit complicated

PS the one in the pic already has 6 boards removed

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 17 April 2020 at 4:50pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 1:24pm

Hill Audio  DX3000

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 13 May 2020 at 1:25pm
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 5:05pm
Blimey. More TO-3s than my big argon laser had.

Edited by Andylaser - 13 May 2020 at 5:05pm
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:57pm
I seem to remember they were quite good amplifiers, lots of power but very heavy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

I seem to remember they were quite good amplifiers, lots of power but very heavy.

36KG, on the plus side no one is going to run off with your amp rack LOL

Bit of a marmite amp, like most Hill kit they have a few gremlins and run hot enough to fry eggs but in the right hands a very solid performer. 

Good for solid tight bass in bridge mode, bipolar outputs with no shunt resistors so the  damping factor is ~2000 which is exceptional for an amp that does 3KW RMS (Compare to the much revered Crest 8001 from the same era which has DF ~400 @ 2.8KW!)

Also straight class A/B (no rail switching) with sliding bias which means they are very linear and have virtually no detectable crossover distortion. It's a giant hi-fi amp really - bit fragile but sounds great! 

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 14 May 2020 at 2:56am
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:32am
Mr. Hill definitely had some unique features in his amps. Like the transformer coupling to the driver stage in the LC series.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Mr. Hill definitely had some unique features in his amps. Like the transformer coupling to the driver stage in the LC series.

DX series are transformer coupled too, as are the Chameleon series that came later. 

A lot of people seem to be critical of Hill kit, the reliability is sometimes questionable but when you consider that the basic design concept for the DX series was done in the early 1970s, compared to what else was available at the time the amps were pretty ground breaking. 

Apparently a common problem for amps of that era was cascade failure, where a minor component failure in the driver stage would put DC into the output devices and blow the whole output stage. The transformer coupling blocks DC and also provides differential drive for the output devices. It's quite a simple elegant solution.

DX700 came out in 1978 and the DX3000 in around 1984 - Live Aid at Wembley in 1985 was 100% powered by DX 3000 so it must have been before then! 

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 14 May 2020 at 12:52pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 1:21pm
Ok - I wasn´t sure as the transformers aren´t obvious in the photo above.

Some friends of mine have a couple of the LC1200's - which I have had to service a couple of times -  but still going strong. Can´t argue with that!   Thumbs Up

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:09pm

Ok - I wasn´t sure as the transformers aren´t obvious in the photo above.

Some friends of mine have a couple of the LC1200's - which I have had to service a couple of times -  but still going strong. Can´t argue with that!   Thumbs Up

Ah - that's because the transformers are under the output transistors, accessable from underneath Thumbs Up

I think they are all great amps, two of the biggest rigs I have operated were Hill powered, DX and LC series, both rigs not mine but talking 15-30Kw RMS.

Both made a crazy amount of noise even considering the power but excellent sound quality too, particularly on bass.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 4:57pm
Yup - nice amps. I doubt whether too many of the modern Class D, etc. will make it into the next decade or two, like the stuff that was made back then.

I have loads of old Crest - and an old Harrison P900 Mosfet that I still use. Recently "modernised" the Harrison by adding some speakons!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 5:32pm

Yup - nice amps. I doubt whether too many of the modern Class D, etc. will make it into the next decade or two, like the stuff that was made back then.

I have loads of old Crest - and an old Harrison P900 Mosfet that I still use. Recently "modernised" the Harrison by adding some speakons!   LOL

Good old Harrisons. Friend of mine has one special model which I cannot find any information, model is X1600.
It weights about 40kg. It has two stacked toroidal transformers and 32 mosfets / channel. Rail voltage is +/- 60Volts so I think it has full bridge circuit for each channel.

2x450W/8ohms,  2x800W/4ohm or 1600W/8ohm mono.

Anyone familiar with this model?

Edited by Tonskulus - 14 May 2020 at 5:39pm
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:17am
Yes, I have one X1600. Also a Harrison Xi2000. Out of interest, why do you call it special? 

[/QUOTE]

Good old Harrisons. Friend of mine has one special model which I cannot find any information, model is X1600.
It weights about 40kg. It has two stacked toroidal transformers and 32 mosfets / channel. Rail voltage is +/- 60Volts so I think it has full bridge circuit for each channel.

2x450W/8ohms,  2x800W/4ohm or 1600W/8ohm mono.

Anyone familiar with this model?

[/QUOTE]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 260>