Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp limiters... why cant i...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

You think, or it is? Show me facts not guesswork.

Well, I'd figure DMMs mass-produced today can vary greatly in their accuracy (edit : I've had 2, the other fried though).. if a manufacturer released an analog meter (considered vintage these days) it'd probably be of very high quality, and accurate.

Edited by efinque - 28 December 2018 at 8:59pm
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 10:23pm
I just googled analog multimeter,  one of the many that came up was under £7 so 'probably' not especially high quality or acurate.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 10:24pm

Im wondering why people calculate their limiter settings.  

Im not particularly electronics or amp savvy. (Guess i wouldn't need to ask if i was)

Why can't you just unplug the speakers and measure the voltage with the amp set to 11 and dial the limiters down until its acceptable?

Its clearly not this simple as i can't find anyone suggesting this. What am i missing? 

The only thing that was not mentioned by the previous comments is... What exactly are you protecting? 

The majority of modern day amplifiers offer an on board limiter to prevent severe clipping. Most sound man use stand alone limiters to protect their loudspeakers from receiving too much power providing, the on board limiter in the amplifier is not adjustable. 

So are you protecting your loudspeakers from too much power or, are you using an amplifier that does not include an on board limiter in which, you need to use a stand alone limiter to prevent the amplifier from clipping?

Best Regards,  

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 28 December 2018 at 10:28pm
Elliot Thompson
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 10:24pm
have you googled fluke?
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Im wondering why people calculate their limiter settings.  

Im not particularly electronics or amp savvy. (Guess i wouldn't need to ask if i was)

Why can't you just unplug the speakers and measure the voltage with the amp set to 11 and dial the limiters down until its acceptable?

Its clearly not this simple as i can't find anyone suggesting this. What am i missing? 

The only thing that was not mentioned by the previous comments is... What exactly are you protecting? 

The majority of modern day amplifiers offer an on board limiter to prevent severe clipping. Most sound man use stand alone limiters to protect their loudspeakers from receiving too much power providing, the on board limiter in the amplifier is not adjustable. 

So are you protecting your loudspeakers from too much power or, are you using an amplifier that does not include an on board limiter in which, you need to use a stand alone limiter to prevent the amplifier from clipping?

Best Regards,  

Now that's a useful question. 

I've got a matrix 6004 which will give some useful clip protection,  and two numark dimension 4s which probably won't. I have a dcx and Im not  investing in new kit but want to make sure I'm making the most protection from what i already have. 

Primarily looking to not burn out my drivers by feeding them  more than they can handle.

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 10:54pm

have you googled fluke?
If that was at me then I am well aware of fluke. The point I was trying to make was that analog meters are commonly manufactured and available in a range of accuracy levels.
Sorry for going off topic..
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

You think, or it is? Show me facts not guesswork.

Well, I'd figure DMMs mass-produced today can vary greatly in their accuracy (edit : I've had 2, the other fried though).. if a manufacturer released an analog meter (considered vintage these days) it'd probably be of very high quality, and accurate.

What the are you talking about? "Id Figure" isnt facts. Backing it up with the 2 rubbish ones you bought isnt either. 

I've asked you twice to back up your conjecture with facts or maths.

Both times you respond with flannel. Either back it up or stop posting in this thread.  You're not helping and im asking for help. 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

have you googled fluke?
If that was at me then I am well aware of fluke. The point I was trying to make was that analog meters are commonly manufactured and available in a range of accuracy levels.
Sorry for going off topic..
Not at you at all imageoven. Apologies for the crossed wires
efinque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 11:26pm

have you googled fluke?

I've used a Fluke IR thermometer to take readings from freezers.

The only analog multimeter I found online by a quick search was by Axiomet, and it was around 70e. A normal DMM costs about 20e (I had a Velleman earlier, now I have a Uni-T)
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

have you googled fluke?

I've used a Fluke IR thermometer to take readings from freezers.

The only analog multimeter I found online by a quick search was by Axiomet, and it was around 70e. A normal DMM costs about 20e (I had a Velleman earlier, now I have a Uni-T)

What the had an ir thermometer got to do with anything

And you haven't said *why* a dmm wont do and wtf are you babbling on about analog for?

Admin... ffs. This joker is ruining this forum. It was a simple question,  detailed 3/4 posts in. Unbelievable.

Thanks to those that actually helped. Ill pm you directly for more nfo if you don't mind as i can't bear doing it on here.
efinque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 11:41pm

What the are you talking about? "Id Figure" isnt facts. Backing it up with the 2 rubbish ones you bought isnt either.

Well, you asked about limiters. I've built 2, the one from ESP and another, an Arduino-based optocompressor which I designed and programmed myself (edit : link to thread on Arduino forum)

Edited by efinque - 29 December 2018 at 12:08am
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 11:46pm
No, i didn't.  I asked a specific question about using measuring voltage to set limiters, which if you had read it you would know.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic