Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp parallel & bridged correct?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp parallel & bridged correct?
    Posted: 17 February 2020 at 8:29pm
Just checking im right in thinking that wired like this is correct and i will roughly get 150w rms per speaker/sub. 

The amp is a 12v car amplifier, Pioneer GM-D8704 4 Channel Class D.
Specs:
Wattage RMS 4 x 100w @ 4Ω
Wattage RMS Bridged 2 x 300w @ 4Ω

The drivers are 2x identical 8Ω mid top speakers wired in parallel (to make 4Ω) and bridged to 2 channels on the amp. Then 2x identical 8Ω subs wired in parallel (to make 4Ω) and bridged on the other 2 channels of the amp.

This is exactly as it will be wired:

They are all PA drivers and going to be part of a 12v sound system i am going to build. 

Cheers! 🙂👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 18 February 2020 at 9:05am
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 1:14pm
I´m not familiar with the amp, but the way you have it wired, you´re only going to get single channel power from 2 channels and the other 2 unused. For bridged use, the norm is to connect to the '+' on the 2 channels you´ve bridged.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 1:21pm
The diagram looks OK to me.
Usually Car amplifiers have 1 of each pair of channels phase reversed, and the terminals labelled accordingly, to make bridging easy.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 3:31pm
Ok, just downloaded the manual and it´s all there. And yes, odd wiring - not PA norms at all....  Confused

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Xoc1 Xoc1 wrote:

The diagram looks OK to me.
Usually Car amplifiers have 1 of each pair of channels phase reversed, and the terminals labelled accordingly, to make bridging easy.

Cool okay im im unfamiliar with phase reversing?

I will double check that i am wiring it correctly to actually bridge 2 channels into 1 when i got the amplfiier. But what i would like to do will work all ok if so yes?
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Ok, just downloaded the manual and it´s all there. And yes, odd wiring - not PA norms at all....  Confused

Its a car amplifier not a PA amplifier. I just mentioned that im using PA speakers just incase that made a difference.

So will my idea work all okay though?
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 4:07pm
The Amplifier speaker terminals
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

Yes
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Yes

Straight to the point thank you 🙂👍🏼
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 6:32pm

The Amplifier speaker terminals

Yes - it´s all on there, fairly obvious, but then the question is, if you want Mono Bridge, or Stereo.   LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes - it´s all on there, fairly obvious, but then the question is, if you want Mono Bridge, or Stereo.   LOL LOL LOL

Mono is fine. Cool thanks, my main concern is;

1. That my 8ohm speakers/subs when in parallel would actually be seen as 4ohm by the amp when bridged.

And if 1 was correct then....
2. That as the amp puts out 300w rms @ 4Ω when bridged, if there are 2x subs/speakers bridged in parallel that is would share the 300w rms equally so each gets 150w (per bridged side) so essentially 4x 150w rms per sub and speaker.

Edited by Jack1991 - 18 February 2020 at 6:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply