Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp recommendations mono 8ohm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp recommendations mono 8ohm
    Posted: 03 March 2023 at 12:29pm
I'm after recommendations to power a celestion 1600w RMS 8 ohm driver. I'm struggling to find amps that supply around 2000w rms 8 ohms in bridged mode? 

Thanks
KC
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2023 at 1:28pm
which celestion driver is it? I'm a fan of older, heavyweight amps for sub duty, maybe a Crest CA9 will be enough to give it a good workout. If not, and you are considering a more modern lightweight amp then do check that the quoted power figures are 20-20khz with low distortion and not the 1khz or instantaneous burst measurements.
kaps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2023 at 2:41pm
Hi bud,

Thanks for the recommendation I've just done a quick search and saw a few for sale. I believe the drivers are Celestion CF18VJD 8 Ohm 18″ 1600W. I bought a second hand ligwa earthshaker scoop loaded with the above driver. I'm also a fan of old school amps!
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2023 at 3:17pm
Have a look at the CA18 too, if you have more than one of those. Given a good power supply, they are great for sub duty.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2023 at 7:46pm
I wouldn't have expected you to have too much trouble finding an amp that will do around 2kW @ 8R bridged.  There are plenty which are rated for 900-1000W@4R stereo which would do it.  A Crest CA9 as suggested above would certainly do it. As above, it depends whether you want something older, larger and heavier or a newer, most likely Class D amplifier.
 Post Reply Post Reply