Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

amp repair courses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuttinraza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2016 at 1:43pm
Which version mate? Thanks in advance
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2016 at 4:00pm
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 12:15pm
Books so far recommended I would also recommend but also the articles published by Doug Self on Amplifier Design.

Although orientated towards Distortion, This series of Wireless Articles gives some very useful information onm Class AB Amplifier design: http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/dipa/dipa.htm

Hope this assist you

good luck

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 12:18pm
Best way to get started, build up an electronics bench with the tools you need and as some people have already said make some simple amplifiers from kits. Start with amplifiers powered by adaptors to start with for safety, maybe some chip amps. Rod Elliotts designs are also good but you will need to make your own power supplies.

Read plenty of theory alongside the practice, you need both to be a good amp repair man along with decent equipment and good troubleshooting skills. Most of it is experience.
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 12:22pm
Additionally, if you can PM me, I have some spare test equipment here (collection only) which you could have to 'get you going, as I'm updating my Test bench.

Allow a full day and I can give you a 'driving lesson' so you will then have a grounding in their use......

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 3:12pm
Hey guys I paid $220 last year to repair a blown output on one Crown 3600 and $200 the year before on another so I am considering learning to fix my own amps. I am thinking of learning the theory first by doing a course like this which is cheap and the guy has great reviews, would that course be ok for me to learn the basics?

https://www.udemy.com/electronics-week-02/#instructor-1

If yes I also have a receiver which works on one channel only I can learn with that first I am thinking, what do you guys think please?
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 3:49pm

Basics yes, but you will be a long way from being able to repair an amp, unless its a very simple fault….

I did my apprenticeship in the early 80s as a TV and radio engineer, it lasted over 6 years, then I moved to an R&D department in an electronics instrumentation design & development company…. 35 years later I’m still learning!!

mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 3:52pm
Shouldn't there be a course somewhere online for specifically repairing amps?
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 6:00pm
In my secondary school (5th year) we did a link course for 1 day a week at college (basic electronics course), then when i left school I did C&G 224 Pt1 & Pt2 in Electronic Servicing for two years. I managed to get a job in a disco shop as there repair guy (amps, mixers, decks etc) and then i also done amateur radio as a hobby building receivers, power supply's, test equipment etc.

I then became a DJ in 1985 and built all my own equipment designed all the circuits, PCB's and were light chasers, amps etc.

I learned a lot from practical experience and then anything that was difficult to understand i would read up about (no internet in the 80's).
Electronic mags of the time that were fantastic to get info, circuits etc was Practical Electronics and Everyday Electronics, as well as books written by R. A. Penfold.

Memory's  Big smileBig smile

Edited by simonp1100 - 17 October 2017 at 6:03pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 7:08pm
Their*

....im sorry, I couldn't help myself

But yes I did the same course and as iv been in a completely different industry for the last 17yrs it has disappeared from the old grey matter so spend my time reading up. The practical side is difficult if you don't have your own space to have test equipment knocking about.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 9:47am
@simonp1100:

Yes, that sounds familiar. I got into electronics with one of those "100 In One" experiment boards I received as a birthday present at 8 or 9. Built my own system at 14 or 15 - with Mckenzie speakers and 100W kit amps.  The system became a PA when I joined a (punk) group at uni...   Smile

Now, with all the focus on PICs, arduino´s and apps, I do wonder how many kids are actually getting the thrill of knocking up an analogue circuit - never mind understand how transistors, op-amps, filters, etc, etc actually work. 

Edited by Earplug - 18 October 2017 at 9:48am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 6:14pm
[QUOTE=Earplug

I got into electronics with one of those "100 In One" experiment boards I received as a birthday present

Same here, it was a Tandy one, then a year later on Christmas day got the "200 In One".  Clap

Edited by simonp1100 - 18 October 2017 at 6:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>