Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp repair equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp repair equipment
    Posted: 03 October 2018 at 4:39pm
Hi all, its been a long time since I've posted here!

So as a bit of a winter project this year I'd like to build up a bit of an electronics workshop and try my hand at a bit of electronics repair - I've got enough blown up kit to practice on!

I'm not a total beginner, i'm certainly not scared of a soldering iron, but it's still a bit of a dark art to me.. And something I'd like to get better at. 

I'm not expecting to do this for money, its purely a hobby so I'm really looking at the budget end of the scale.

So I'm looking at:

Hantek DSO5102P

2 x 1000w 8ohm dummy loads

I've got a selection of gas irons and basic soldering stations, decent continuity meter and cheap multimeter's already.

Is this a good selection to get me started? Do I need some kind of bench power supply too?

Cheers

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 7:14pm
A bench power supply is a very good idea - something that will give you (at least) up to +/- 18V @ 1A-2A. And a decent signal generator is essential!   Smile

Edited by Earplug - 04 October 2018 at 10:27am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
bwilbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 8:12pm
That would be a 0-36v bench supply with a ground wouldn't it? Is there an advantage to having a variac instead? 
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 9:35pm
A variac won't do DC.  Useful for warming up old valve amps though...
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2018 at 10:52am
Originally posted by bwilbee bwilbee wrote:

That would be a 0-36v bench supply with a ground wouldn't it? Is there an advantage to having a variac instead? 

No - you need a balanced supply. Most low power electronics - preamps, etc. need a +/- voltage - usually between 12V and 18V. That´s what most opamps run on. And of course a (separate) 5V supply for everything digital is also important. Some bench PSU units will come with all of that.

Or - just build one yourself. It´s pretty straightforward with something like the LM317/LM337 regulators. I have this one:  http://sound.whsites.net/project44.htm

And have a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_PbjbRaO2E

Smile

Edited by Earplug - 04 October 2018 at 10:56am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
bwilbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2018 at 11:44am
Thanks, sounds like a good project to get me started!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2018 at 1:01pm
There´s lots of great projects on the ESP website! And plenty of interesting reading material as well. Smile Thumbs Up Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply