Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Shootout 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp Shootout 2020
    Posted: 06 December 2019 at 4:46pm
Thought I'd start a new thread after this:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

Yeah, I'm up for that. Amps I have around:

- Crown MA12000i, MA5002VZ
- Powersoft T604, T602, T304
- Various Behringer

Let me know where and when.

Chris

Call it Manchester with plenty of notice, and I can probably add K20, X4/X8, MC2 Delta, Linea 44M20 and maybe even an XTA APA into the pot, plus some subs that can take the juice

I've also got the tools to take frequency response and distortion measurements out the arse of the amps.

Looks like there's something interesting coming up.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 5:00pm
Cant pitch in because of the geographic location, but i hope someone will bring some LAB PLM. Would be interesting to see what and when things Give Up... 

I know for a fact that four TWA BSX on the big PLM isnt more than a light cardiode workout for the Amp :D.
Old king coles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2019 at 5:09pm
Would love to be there for this if it's open to all? Can't bring anything to the party other than an sae pxm1450 if that's of any interest?
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2019 at 6:12pm
If it's in Manc then I'd love to come. Can bring a couple of QSC PL236 - I'm interested to compare them against something more modern to see what I'm missing out on.
Don't test the champignon sound
splodge360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote splodge360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 12:27am
i can supply a copy lab amp that ive not been able to destroy, perhaps you guys can?
LineArrayHire

fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 3:32am
I would be very appreciative is someone can source a PL380 and compare that to the other brand new bits.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 5:46am
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

I would be very appreciative is someone can source a PL380 and compare that to the other brand new bits.

+1 to this, not just in overall spl, id like to hear about tone as well.

Edited by citizensc - 10 December 2019 at 5:47am
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 9:35am
Happy to bring my pkn 10000. 
PauliePaul View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

I have three here, I’ll endeavour to attend.
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 4:47pm
would certainly like to attend if it's in manchester - I don't have much that would be a surprise in a shootout - just k8/k10/k3, some old mid power stuff thats still kicking about like matrix str3000 & qsc plx3602.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 5:38pm
Still no labsCry
Given the people involved this looks to be a serious thing, would be a shame not to have one of the most used touring amps in the race.
I would send  some money towards renting one, if somebody else agrees to crowfound this, there's nuff time still to organize It.
I briefly considered taking a plane to reach you - and put faces to forum names - but i Will be at the Apex of my home restoration at that time.

Edited by Jo bg - 10 December 2019 at 5:39pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 6:16pm
If I’m going to host and do this testing part, which is pretty much essential otherwise it’s just playing about and not a shoot out or test, then we need to keep the list pretty short I’m afraid.

There’s also a fair amount of prep work to ensure the test is fair, in terms of not giving one unit an advantage by not doing voltage gain compensation based on a measurement.

It’s also important to do a transfer function with a fixed, calibrated mic position(s) plus a swept sine or MLS chirp to compare distortion figures of each amplifier driving the same cabinet at the same level at the same positions.

It’s also not just about sub; we should test the amps on a full range cabinet too.

Max short term SPL achieved is also a good test, without limiters, but also a limited test to see if the amp peak voltage matches what we would expect given the MEASURED impedance sweep of the cabinet.

The amps listed so far could be setup and tested before the shoot out day itself, with data and prep work done to speed things up on the day. If it’s a success, then there’s always scope to do another, however a broad pile will just limit the ability to get actual data rather than just subjective opinions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>