Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp suggestions for 2x big 21'' drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 7:30pm
VECTORSONICS........Recones are Us!!!!!!! Over and over Customers burn Speakers...Over and Over I tell Them They need to use more Speakers at the same Time.......Over and Over They tell Me Their Speakers can Handle 10000 watts.....They read it on the Web......Over and Over I recone Customers Speakers!!!!!!!!!! .............More $ for My Boat Fund!!!!! .........VECTORSONICS, Auburn, Maine USA
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 9:02pm
We didn’t even get halfway through a page before the same old tired, ill-informed waffle about ‘the good old days’ got trotted out 🙄

The 4-ohm driver is the right choice for that box, paired with an X8. Use an amp per stack so that the load is distributed over the channels. Since you're lucky enough to live in Firenze, those are also made not so far from you.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Rudeboy94 Rudeboy94 wrote:

Hello everyone, 
I'm asking for any recommendations for an amplifier to power 2x 21SW152 by B&C Speakers. These have, as reported on the company's website, a 4kw continous power rating. 
What's a good tool to make 2 of these bad boys work properly? Ideal price would be more or less 1000euro (800-1200 range), of course used amps are considered with this budget.

Seems you can't afford to power them properly...

Suggest you sell them..
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 10:56pm
Come on guys lets be realistic here. The o.p. only has a budget of 800 to 1,200 Euros and amps like Powersoft X8 and X4L are being recommended?! 

Lev I think you're being unnecessarily brutal. Your old favourite, the Void Infinite 8, would be a great fit delivering over 2,500 proper watts to each driver at 4 ohms. I know prices seemed to have jumped very recently but it's still within striking distance.

Not seen any mention of CVR, Admark or YND. Have read pretty good things about these lately. I do have personal experience of both the heavyweight and light weight YNDs and for the money cannot fault them.

The most powerful 2nd hand Powersoft that the o.p. could realistically go for is the K8.

Edited by knet94 - 01 April 2022 at 10:58pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 4:32am
A pair of the drivers have a retail price that exceeds the budget for the amp. Something has to give.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 10:55am
"We didn’t even get halfway through a page before the same old tired, ill-informed waffle about ‘the good old days’ got trotted out 🙄 "

Hahaha - thank you - and I'm quite happy to bring a bit of perspective and reality to the forum!

Just in the UK there have been some amazing designers and systems, eg. Martin, Turbo, ASS, F1, Tannoy, etc. Stuff that can still hold it's own against the modern stuff - and all designed without the aid of the very powerful processing power we now have. You have to take your hat off to those guys.

More "good ol' days":-

Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 11:27am
Surely the old 5000vz workhorse can easily be found in the 800-1200 Euro budget? But as these are getting on for 30 years old now, definately 'buyer beware', try to find a nice unmolested one.
Be seeing you.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 11:28am
@Earplug

MTL4 does not do much below 50Hz. It would be destroyed by a pair top of the line dual 18's which all use high power, high xmax drivers.

For the OP, Powersoft K series would be my bet with that money.
K3 DSP can be found for that money which also gives you a great DSP with some serious limiting options.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 1:03pm
"MTL4 does not do much below 50Hz. It would be destroyed by a pair top of the line dual 18's which all use high power, high xmax drivers."

Yes, maybe - but horses for courses. Have you watched the YT clip I posted? For R'n'R, etc. I'd rather have something that hit you in the chest & knocked you back - rather than a lot of (horrible) LF rumble!

And actually - I have put my system up for a couple of local reggae outfits here. The guy that engineers for them is obsessed by the LF - and I've actually had to move from the mixing desk, feeling a bit nauseous due to the amount of bass-end he was generating. Maybe I'm just not made to fully appreciate a lot of 30Hz rumble!

EDIT:-  And oh yes, the guy I mentioned above has a small RCF system, with the 9006 subs - which he loves. I guess those would fit into your description. But still he has never complained about what I set up for him.   Smile

Edited by Earplug - 02 April 2022 at 1:24pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

Lev I think you're being unnecessarily brutal. Your old favourite, the Void Infinite 8, would be a great fit delivering over 2,500 proper watts to each driver at 4 ohms. I know prices seemed to have jumped very recently but it's still within striking distance.the o.p. could realistically go for is the K8.

Maybe if he sold the drivers, he could afford a decent amp.

Edited by levyte357- - 02 April 2022 at 1:38pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 2:29pm
@Earplug

There are not many subs that can do 30Hz really properly. When done properly it definately is not just rumble. Never heard the 9006AS but would nor account the LF21N401 comparable to the SW152.

Cabs like a KS28 perform nicely and hit that same 30Hz without it being just rumble.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

Lev I think you're being unnecessarily brutal. Your old favourite, the Void Infinite 8, would be a great fit delivering over 2,500 proper watts to each driver at 4 ohms. I know prices seemed to have jumped very recently but it's still within striking distance.the o.p. could realistically go for is the K8.

Maybe if he sold the drivers, he could afford a decent amp.

So an Infinite 8 Mk2 is not a decent amp? I notice that you still seem interested in the ones advertised on FB.

Edited by knet94 - 02 April 2022 at 3:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>