Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp suggestions for smaller soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp suggestions for smaller soundsystem
    Posted: 05 August 2020 at 4:12pm
Hi everybody

I know there are a ton of topics about "whats the best amp for my setup,..." but I cant find any answering my question since these are usually about very very powerful amps. So I was wondering what amplifiers you would suggest for my 2 scoop stack (which will not be upgraded in the near future due to not having a van) 

It consist of:
 - 2 Mogale Superscoops loaded with 1000w Fane 18-XB's
- 2 Cubo Kicks loaded with 450w Eminence Kappa-15A's (might be upgraded to 18s15nlw9300)
- 1 M121's loaded with 400w B&C 12NDL76 (might make a 2nd one)
- 1 80w Beyma CD650 (might make a second one + bullet tweeters in the future)

Right know the subs and kicks are powered by a NX6000 and the mids & tops by a Crest CA9. 

What amplifiers would you suggest that will still have enough headroom if i want to upgrade? (they can be expensive but not Powersoft expensive & weight is not an issue) Wink 

Thanks in advance
From small acorns oak trees grow.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2020 at 7:19pm
Really depends on the budget, you can have som Powersoft amps for 400 euros.. but those are not K20's, X4's etc. 
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2020 at 9:56pm
lets say my budget in total is around 2000 for both amps, buy just take this as a guide, since I will be saving up for them
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2020 at 10:04pm
Keep the CA9, find a CA18 or P9001. Keep the rest of the cash.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2020 at 10:19pm
Spongebob on here has a selection of very nice CA18’s he is moving on. 
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 4:14am
thank you for the responses, I see the CA18 does 1800w @ 4ohm per channel, but will this not underpower my 2 fane xb’s? + when I look for the p9001 I only see cheap alibaba amps.

Edited by nejten - 06 August 2020 at 4:21am
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 6:57am
P9001 was built by crest, and was the top of the line in their range at the time, CA series were built later, at a lower price point.

The XB is really a 600w driver, that's how they were rated when first sold, and looking at newer recone kits against originals I'm fairly certain they were re-rated by the sales department rather than the engineering dept. Either way, unless you have budget for a significantly larger modern ( switch mode PSU) amplifier, the crest will keep you happy, and keep you from wasting too much power, and money, in heat ( power compression)
Normally, i would advise 2 x AES power as headroom on bass and sub sections, but in this case, with a nice small rig, 2 x 18" scoops on an amplifier like the CA18 will keep you perfectly happy.

Edited by csg - 06 August 2020 at 6:58am
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 9:24am
Alright, thanks a lot for the advice!
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 9:25am
Anyone else with different suggestions/advice? (just curious)
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by nejten nejten wrote:

Anyone else with different suggestions/advice? (just curious)
A CA18 is perfect for your needs.

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 10:43am
Take this as an attempt at helpful friendly advice, not an rtfm....

This seems to be a popular topic, so this sort of thread has been done over and over in this forum, amps for subs, what is the best cheap bass amp etc and lots of info and discussion about it. I'm at work and don't have time to Google the site now, but you might like to see what you can find as it'll give you a second opinion and more suggestions. 

If I get a chance later I'll see if i can find some links.

That said, csg knows his stuff!

nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 10:59am
I know and have checked out all of these topics but like I said in my first post they are usually for atleast 4 scoop stacks etc while my setup only has 2 scoops and up and will probably stay that way for some time Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>