Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

I was guessing more than the Kyro's as the spec's so impressive. Wonder what's going with the release date of these Inf 8's ? All that's on the PAP web site is ''The series 2 will be available early 2007. Taking pre-orders now!!''

PAP told me that they'd be available in mid-June for about £1500 last time I called.

Not sure how concrete that is.

I'm very, very tempted by an FFA 8.0 but it's still not going to give 8 ohm loaded bins more than 1.2kw. In fact, none of the suggested amps so far do although I appreciate the help.

Perhaps I'm just being too picky?

Walt, is there really that much of an improvement when running the Punishers with 1500w each or more?
It sounds right because the Looneys we use currently came alive the moment I gave them a QSC RMX4050HD per pair in 4 ohm bridged... it's looking like I might have to keep the 8 ohm drivers as spares and get 4 ohm ones to do this properly.

Edited by toastyghost - 09 May 2007 at 11:34pm
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 1:06am
Power compression will prevent powers of over 500W making a huge difference to the output - this recent quote from Bill Fitzmaurice says it well

"Generally with lower powered drivers xmax is the main limiting factor, as you don't get a huge amount of heat with a 200 watt driver. As power goes up so does heat, and it will become more of a factor. My point is that once you get beyond 500 watts if one factor isn't at work the other is, though it's more likely that both are. That doesn't mean you should avoid using drivers rated at more than 500 watts, just that you shouldn't count on getting any more out of one with 1,000 watts than you will with 500, and that being the case there's no valid reason to risk damaging the driver by driving it to full power."

So yes I would say you are being too picky - if you havent got enough volume you need more cabs not more amps.

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 11:48am
Here's a pic of the first off the production line.

Should be on the streets in about 10 days time.

Rog.

Edited by Rog Mogale - 10 May 2007 at 12:07pm
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 12:24pm
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I need an amp for four Punishers, currently with 8 ohm drivers. Ideally this means 3000w stereo at 4 ohm load, to give the Puns the recommended 1500w each.

If you don't have the £2k plus for a decent lightweight high power amp, you're amp rack is gonna be heavy for a while.

QSC 4050HD does not have good rep for sub Bass.

Crest 8001/Qsc MX3000a/EV P3000 all give approx 3200W @ 4ohm bridge.The QSC is approx £500 used, 8001/P3000 upto £750 used

I have a Proline 2700 that has same O/P as above amps
but is allegedly Chinese. It has 3 year warranty from Thomann, Costs only £350 new, and is shocking in bridge mode.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
COWFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COWFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 1:26pm
The Infinite 8 look wicked fi true.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 1:28pm
If you're after some second hand PLX3402's, you might like to send Dom a PM as i think he may have some available.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 1:37pm

How about the Proel PSW2600, which is 1300 a side into 4 ohms. digital and only weighs 12kg Have a look here for the spec:-

There's a deal on them at the moment, pm me if interested.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by COWFOOT COWFOOT wrote:

The Infinite 8 look wicked fi true.

It's meant to sound wicked to according to the specs & the vigorous testing Rog's done with it, so you know Iration Steppas will be looking to do his own testing.

Once this amp touches the streets, in a few months afterwards, I think they'll be loads of amps around up for sale at good prices to be able to get these.

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I need an amp for four Punishers, currently with 8 ohm drivers. Ideally this means 3000w stereo at 4 ohm load, to give the Puns the recommended 1500w each.

If you don't have the £2k plus for a decent lightweight high power amp, you're amp rack is gonna be heavy for a while.

QSC 4050HD does not have good rep for sub Bass.

Crest 8001/Qsc MX3000a/EV P3000 all give approx 3200W @ 4ohm bridge.The QSC is approx £500 used, 8001/P3000 upto £750 used

I have a Proline 2700 that has same O/P as above amps
but is allegedly Chinese. It has 3 year warranty from Thomann, Costs only £350 new, and is shocking in bridge mode.

Weight isn't a major issue, I just don't want to have 100kg plus just for the bass when I get more bins.

It's a toss up between a pair of PLX3402s or the new Infinite 8. The specs on Void's site are very tempting as the one amp will happily do 6 Punishers at 8 ohms and I like the idea of the protection circuit.

It's just whether the price is right and I'm willing to be an early adopter.

Thanks for the tipoff about Dom, I'll see what he's doing with the 3402s before I make my decision.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 6:26pm
Quote the new Infinite 8. The specs on Void's site are very tempting as the one amp will happily do 6 Punishers at 8 ohms and I like the idea of the protection circuit.

It's just whether the price is right
Quote PAP told me that they'd be available in mid-June for about £1500 last time I called. Not sure how concrete that is.

Slightly over 1500 ToastyGhost, £1586.00 from PAP hopefully by 25th May. maybe due to the 2007 budget.

Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 10:45pm
If anyones intersted i had the kryo 8s out the other day for a little test drive. As i really wanted to know what the amp was capable of i ran both sides at 2 ohms, hanging 4 sykos off one side and 2 stasys 8 off the other. I was really warry of it lasting the duration but i couldn't let that hold me back as i really wanted to be sure they are 2 ohm stable!

All i can say is wow, really nice sub coming out the sykos (even though they were under powered) and really tight speed bass coming from the 8's. It really changed my mind on using switch mode cabs on bass.

The amp got a little warm over the night but i think that was due to the ambient temperature of the club (sweat was pouring off the ceiling)

not sure if they will give you the required 1500w per cab but well worth a look in my opinion mate as they aren't too expensive either
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>