Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp to run 4 x 18TLW3000 8/4 Ohms!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

No. Class AB amp shave almost the worst conversion efficiency ~ 50-60% maximum. Also plagued by the problem I have mentioned above^.

Class-D ( high frequency switching ) amps could have efficiency above 85% while very few reaches ~ 95% or more.

I meant in the analog domain.. a quality class D amp will cost around 2-3 times more than a class AB.

Edited by efinque - 17 December 2018 at 2:54pm
smitske96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

I meant in the analog domain.. a quality class D amp will cost around 2-3 times more than a class AB.

What do you mean with this?
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Waiting for the edit šŸ˜‰
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
efinque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

For the price of a single good class D you get 2-3 times the power in class AB.. for example my old Crown XLS 202 was a class D amp, and a budget class AB amp of the same price would deliver twice the power.. with the same sound quality.

You usually get stuff like DSP, limiting etc with class D though.. and a fancy blue LCD screen. 

Edited by efinque - 17 December 2018 at 6:19pm
Jo bg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 6:52pm

EDIT : people have been succesfully using SMPS' in effect pedals etc due to their size, and I've seen some amps using them too.. maybe for small speakers they could be ok, but for heavy duty stuff like driving subs I wouldn't put my money on one.

I GOT IT !
Efinque is somehow writing from the 80s!
efinque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

I GOT IT !
Efinque is somehow writing from the 80s!

I don't get it.. but that seems to be the general consensus over at GroupDIY (and many electronic engineers would agree with that)

Amplifier weight shouldn't really be a problem imo, seeing that the speakers you drive with them can be in the 60-120 kg range and sometimes even more. I too have been a roadie and done a fair deal of hauling so I know what I'm talking about, a rack full of QSC for instance weighs a lot.

I used to work in a warehouse loading bags of fodder, 40kg a piece, 24 of them in a pallet, or rolls of silage cover (b/w plastic wrap) weighing 50kg and upwards.

Edited by efinque - 17 December 2018 at 7:36pm
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 8:01pm
It is not about the weight, it is all about the sound.
Normally a good and efficient modern technology switching amplifier can be realized in just a fraction of size and weight of a linear amp.
Those Crown XLS is a joke, just like some 99% of the switching amps.
There are just very few really good products on the market and tons of scrap. I can count them on a single hand of mine!
efinque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 8:07pm

Normally a good and efficient modern technology switching amplifier can be realized in just a fraction of size and weight of a linear amp.

Yes but then there's price.. a medical grade SMPS capable of running an amp is very expensive.

But so is a good transformer.. shame I burnt the one I had (a toroidal Talema 2x18V iirc, I think I can reuse the copper wire).. the weight distribution would've been very uneven though as the case was/is plastic. I built a diode-bridge module for a 12VAC trafo which got me some 16,8V output but it's hard to tell whether it was AC or DC (edit : this was for a mixer.. it has a Mean Well PD SMPS now which isn't that bad for the price, it picks interference from cell phones though, maybe put it in a separate case somewhere far and shielded from RF/EMI sources)

Edited by efinque - 17 December 2018 at 8:29pm
wilidapili View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 8:32pm

There are just very few really good products on the market and tons of scrap. I can count them on a single hand of mine!

Iā€™m curious to know these ones you can count with a single hand!
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:06pm

it's hard to tell whether it was AC or DC 

I think you need some more test gear.

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:26pm

Yes - agree that the Crown are bad - but even some fairly expensive Class D have their issues, eg:

https://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting.php?z=Funktion-One_F60Q_-_FFA6004

Give me a decent Class H any day!

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:41pm
i have FFA 6004 since 2011 and been very happy with its sound quality and reliability, 8 years, no issues with the amp, no burned speakers...
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic