Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Amping and likely output of 4 sx500’s & 4 evx180
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amping and likely output of 4 sx500’s & 4 evx180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 1:38pm
Yeah,the EP series are pretty bomb-proof for the price. The spec'd power ratings are a little ambitious but if you ignore the numbers, bridged them and fire them into a 4R load they perform damn well.

One important thing about them is that they don't blow up very easily on poor mains/generators/etc. whereas any of the new lightweight amps will throw a proper wobbly and likely blow their PSUs

They're like the DCX... only people who've got a bee in their bonnet about the Brand or have never used them speak poorly of them
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Will_H Will_H wrote:

I’m just working out the total cost of the bass portion of this system. The 4 subs amped correctly are going to come it at roughly the same cost as a pair of very good used JBL Prx618xlf’s. 
Any thoughts on the 4 I have vs a pair of these?
Obviously transportation wise/active, but on sound alone?

These or any other non junk reflex boxes(powered or passive) will produce much deeper bass than the T18s but 2 of them will fall well short in overall SPL.

Edited by Conanski - 13 August 2018 at 8:29pm
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

Regarding the PV amps, I've used a few and never had any trouble with them, one of them was a 2600 running at 2r in an install, it would quite often have the DDT lights on constantly for hours on end 3 or 4 nights a week and never missed a beat or killed any drivers.  

Edit; Grammar.

Have you compared them to the old CS Series? Possibly I am spoiled by the old CS Series which is why I noticed the PV Series weakness once I made a comparison.

Best Regards,

Yes, used/owned a few CS's over the years, definitely more robust than the PV's, better on bass too IMO. Had one of the older 4U PV 2000's too, that thing was a beast in bridge mode on a couple of 18's.
Will_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

I’m just working out the total cost of the bass portion of this system. The 4 subs amped correctly are going to come it at roughly the same cost as a pair of very good used JBL Prx618xlf’s. 
Any thoughts on the 4 I have vs a pair of these?
Obviously transportation wise/active, but on sound alone?

These or any other non junk reflex boxes(powered or passive) will produce much deeper bass than the T18s but 2 of them will fall well short in overall SPL.

Is this true even with the evx instead of the standard driver? Side by side there is a fair difference in sound for sure.

Yeah good point on SPL (this is what I wasn’t sure of), which is kind of vital for me trying to get the most from this small system in terms of room size/people. 
Will_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 9:46pm
I’ve had a look around, a few actually local to me at very reasonable prices.
Running 2 per am in bridged, am I right it saying this will then be mono?
Is One amp for left and one amp for right possible?
If not, mono bass is not lacking in anything noticeable is it?
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 9:51pm
you want to be running your subs in mono anyway to get the most efficient use out of them.

If the need desperately took you then yes you could run them stereo with one amp for left and one amp for right with two cabs for each bridged amp
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 1:12am

Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

These or any other non junk reflex boxes(powered or passive) will produce much deeper bass than the T18s

Is this true even with the evx instead of the standard driver? Side by side there is a fair difference in sound for sure.

Yes the box determines frequency response and no driver changes that any meaningful amount, so even with EVX drivers you won't suddenly have loads of 35hz out of these things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123