Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplification for eminence drivers in HD15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crysummers123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplification for eminence drivers in HD15
    Posted: 08 January 2013 at 8:20pm
I am building 2 HD15 cabs and loading them with the Eminence Kappa Pro-15LF-2 15" speakers. The peak power is 1200 watts and the RMS is 600. What kind of amplification would i need to run these speakers proficiently with at least 200 watts left over to run the mid and tops? Any and all advice is helpful
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 5:41pm
  Welcome to the forum!, Firstly, you need to be running seperate amps (or at least,  amp channels) between the bass and mid/top so no need to have any power 'left over'. Secondly, whats your budget? Do you want new or second hand, traditional heavyweight or SMPS, but basically, anything that will provide about 500-1000w for each driver would do the trick. Smile
crysummers123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crysummers123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 9:03pm
I was hoping to spend 400 or less. As of right now i am in the process of building the low end half of some custom speakers. After doing a little more research i decided i will buy another amp for the mid-top half when it is completed. I was looking at the Behringer EP4000 to run the two HD15 horns. Would this run the speakers well?
fordlltwm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordlltwm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 9:27pm
Hows about a T-Amp 700? 4*810W into 4 ohms, and just within your budget.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_tsa_4700.htm

Similar ish specs to a Berry, but 4 channels rather than two.

ELV-500
Marshall 6040
Inkel MX-1402

And a worrying amount of 100v line horns
crysummers123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crysummers123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 9:40pm
i live in the U.S. is it available here?
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 8:29pm
 The Berry EP4000 would drive them o.k (especially in bridge!) and IMO is probably the best new amp you're going to get on a budget, but its not actually a 4k amp, its an EP2500 after the marketing department have 'adjusted' the specs, I don't what second hand amps are available in the U.S but I'm sure you could pick up an old Crown, Crest or similiar that would outperform the Beringher for the same money.
 Post Reply Post Reply