Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplifier advice
    Posted: 28 October 2018 at 12:43pm
I’ve just picked up a pair of a babymax subwoofers with 18” Ohm drivers (800W 8ohm).

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive (up to £500), reliable amplifier to power them?
junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2018 at 4:47pm
Proline 3000. Used around £300, brand new £550

Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2018 at 6:20pm
Thanks for the recommendation. I had looked at them and it is a possibility but ideally I was hoping for something a bit lighter because after I’ve flightcased it I’d be looking at something weighing almost 60kg and I need to be able to get this up and down stairs. 

Are there any class D amps that would do a job or are they no good for subs?
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2018 at 9:13am
These "proline" things maybe cheap but do not even reach the minimum entry of professional category.
They are not even good to drive subs, no true damping, lack of pulse and phase coherence (inability to drive arrays in defined manner of phase) also performance vary by line changes.
Powersoft K series are good, PKN XD or XE amps too. Others are not so..
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2018 at 10:12am
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

These "proline" things maybe cheap but do not even reach the minimum entry of professional category.
They are not even good to drive subs, no true damping, lack of pulse and phase coherence (inability to drive arrays in defined manner of phase) also performance vary by line changes.
Thats the thing about this forum: Or people recommend the cheapest few hundred bucks stuff that is barely professional or it goes straight to multi thousand dollars powersoft/pkn/xta/mc2 LOL

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2018 at 4:36pm
I don't think that's fair. People have recommended low range inuke and it's replacement, ive suggested mid range class d  stuff from blue aran which were discussed at length, and  also the ones on sound gear from Timebomb.  Can't vouch for their quality as I've not heard them but they were suggested. 

The forum bashing is getting dull. 

Edited by JonB67 - 29 October 2018 at 10:03pm
junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 8:07am
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Don't see anyone getting hold of a true proffesional grade amp for under £500... Prolines can most definitely drive subs and are renound being on of the best budget sub amps about. I run two Es18s from mine at the moment and it thumps the hell out of them. Of course K Series and PKN are better but once again I can't see anyone getting an amp of that calibre for the price range in question.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 9:17am
Good options do exist below the price point of the high end amps, some dont cost a huge amount more than the prolines...

There are new higher power 2 channel versions of the class D Saturn amps available now, 2 x 3600W@4ohms and a 2 x 4200W@4 ohms model, i have been testing the 4 channel version and it can certainly drive subs.  Will update the website later today.      
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 10:37am
I'd certainly be interested in finding out more about a 4 channel amp that could run a pair of subs and a pair of tops.

Which website will you be updating Timebomb? The Soundgear one?
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 11:38am
If I have a pair of subs that are 800W 8ohms and a pair of low mid boxes that are 500W 8ohms... would it be possible to run them all from a 4 channel amp or would I need to run these off two separate amps?

Would the Saturn 10 amp be too powerful for the 500W drivers or would that not be an issue?
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 11:46am
Yes you can do that no problem, the 4 channels are all independent, they do not have to run the same frequency band.  I have customers that run bass on ch1 and ch2, low mid on ch3 and mid high on ch4 and it works well.

The Saturn 10 has adjustable VPL limiters on the back so you can limit power when running smaller cabinets, if you have any questions feel free to drop me an email james at soundgear.co.uk ,  i will update the soundgear website with prices for the new models shortly.

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 1:50pm
Thanks, I will take you up on that.

Just been doing some research and if the subs I’ve agreed to buy have Ohm TRS18 drivers in they will probably only be 500W too so I won’t need the amp to be as powerful as I thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>