Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier for Fulcrum Acoustic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 4:56pm
I recently got a Linea 48M10 and to my ears it’s a superb sounding Amp. 
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

I will be interested in hearing the new FFA, i'm sure it will sound much better than the old units.

I am always amazed how such subjective things like sound quality are treated as absolute facts rather than mere opinions by certain people on here, where there is nothing more subjective. One man's meat is another mans poison as the saying goes...

The only thing i can suggest is to audition all the available contenders and buy what works for you best.

Certain, measureable aspects of sound aren't debutable. They are facts and can't be dismissed. I prefer clean detailed sound. If the amplifier isn't capable of producing the detail i know is there in the signal, it's a bad amp regardless that some people might like it.

If the speaker is distorted then again it isn't really open for discussion if it sounds good or not. It doesn't. Even if someone might like it like that.

Technical aspects are facts which can't be dismissed. Subjective side is if you like more bass on the system compared to someone else.

Problem also stems from the fact that very few people have actually heard a really good sound. And even less can actually compare systems side by side to keep their image fresh on what sounds good and what doesn't.

I've experienced this in the past when being "in the bubble" everything sounded great but after coming out from that bubble, it turned out that it didn't sound that great after all. But that was because there wasn't enough changed to compare against others.

If someone runs their system, and only that, then it sounds like the best thing in the world. But only because they haven't done true comparison against others.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 5:44pm

I will be interested in hearing the new FFA, i'm sure it will sound much better than the old units.

I am always amazed how such subjective things like sound quality are treated as absolute facts rather than mere opinions by certain people on here, where there is nothing more subjective. One man's meat is another mans poison as the saying goes...

The only thing i can suggest is to audition all the available contenders and buy what works for you best.

+100

To me, the whole question of "sound quality" really sounds too much like hifi snake oil and snobbery. Very often, people will claim that the amp with the biggest price tag also sounds best - when it really doesn´t sound any different to something a lot cheaper.

And "sound qualitiy" is all very well, but I´d rather have a slightly "worse" sounding amp - as long as it was reliable and does the job night after night without any complaints. I´ve really seen too many "amazing sounding amps" that then fail at the worst moment.   Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

+100

To me, the whole question of "sound quality" really sounds too much like hifi snake oil and snobbery. Very often, people will claim that the amp with the biggest price tag also sounds best - when it really doesn´t sound any different to something a lot cheaper.

And "sound qualitiy" is all very well, but I´d rather have a slightly "worse" sounding amp - as long as it was reliable and does the job night after night without any complaints. I´ve really seen too many "amazing sounding amps" that then fail at the worst moment.   Ouch

But surely that doesn't only apply to amps? Anything sounds the same. DSPs especially. Also, no point making so many different drivers as they all sound the same at the end. Right?

If you aren't interested to get the best sound, that's fine. But don't try to stop open discussion about it as something called sound quality and good sound do exist. And even electronics sound vastly different. You just need to spend some time on learning what and why and comparing things. Or should we say, doesn't matter what components you use on passive xover, they all sound the same? Regardles of ESR differences on capacitors etc?

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by PremierMusicGroup PremierMusicGroup wrote:

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Hello guys,</span>
Long time lurker here. I have a dilemma. Planning to buy a pair of 3 way tops from Fulcrum Acoustic DX1295 and will need top notch amplication. I decided not to get the active version that has Powersoft module on it since I can do much better with outboard amplication. Now the real question which of these will sound best? Please offer some perspectives. I need 4 channels to biamp the speakers only.

1) Lab Gruppen with DSP. PLM 5K44 with Lake.
2) Powersoft X4 or 2x K6
3) Linea Research 44M06 or 44M10
3) MC2 Audio Delta DSP 80 (They're basically XTA, no?)

I'm not sure Fulcrum has the DSP preset for MC2 but they can probably help with that. They probably prefer Powersoft and Linea for their stuff. 

If you use something other than a supported Level 1 tQ amplifier or DSP platform with those boxes, you're cheating yourself out of most of their winning formula.

I spoke to Dave Gunness and his guys a bunch at infocomm this year and what they're doing isn't just 'normal' FIR, in fact, it actively avoids using FIR to fix everything and they use IIR for most of the normal stuff too.

So currently that limits you to Powersoft K, X the new -canali stuff, some Ashly stuff, some Crown stuff, their own external but install focused processor, or soon, Linea Research - but that will need replacement units, existing amps or DSP from Linea out there cannot run FIR. I don't think the new FFA is designed to support FIR but maybe it can be updated?

XTA APA does have FIR, and I think so does MC2 Delta, but they're not supported by Fulcrum officially. You can perhaps email them or your dealer and ask to send one of those amps back to Fulcrum HQ however and have a tQ Level 1 file generated for yours and perhaps other peoples' boxes:
https://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/dsp.html
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

Certain, measureable aspects of sound aren't debutable. They are facts and can't be dismissed. I prefer clean detailed sound. If the amplifier isn't capable of producing the detail i know is there in the signal, it's a bad amp regardless that some people might like it. 

If the speaker is distorted then again it isn't really open for discussion if it sounds good or not. It doesn't. Even if someone might like it like that.

Technical aspects are facts which can't be dismissed. Subjective side is if you like more bass on the system compared to someone else.

Problem also stems from the fact that very few people have actually heard a really good sound. And even less can actually compare systems side by side to keep their image fresh on what sounds good and what doesn't.

I've experienced this in the past when being "in the bubble" everything sounded great but after coming out from that bubble, it turned out that it didn't sound that great after all. But that was because there wasn't enough changed to compare against others.

If someone runs their system, and only that, then it sounds like the best thing in the world. But only because they haven't done true comparison against others.

Yes, from an engineering POV you can distinguish between good and bad engineering, or perhaps i should say accurate for inaccurate engineering - but at the end of the day music through speakers is all about establishing an emotional response to what is heard. I think in this day of staring at a computer screen to tune a system it is very important to remember that it is people who listen to the music, not a computer, and what might be perfect from an engineering point of view is often very far from perfect from a musical or emotional point of view.

My background is music, having been taught several instruments from a very early age and i think that may give me a different position to those who's background is science or engineering where measurements and accuracy of results are key.

Your comment of distortion having to sound bad is untrue - tell that to the users of Marshall guitar amplification, or the users of scoop bins and pre-amps ( items that i regard more as musical instruments rather than mere engineering components) - there are times when accuracy are not what you want. 

There is also the relationship between different components of a system that are very hard to predict, hence my recommendation to try different options for real rather than relying on highly speculative and unreliable recommendations from others who have no direct experience of the overall system in question. 

I'm not dismissing the importance of measurements, accuracy or using the very powerful DSP tools that we now have available, but fundamentally, at the end of the day, i don't care what the numbers say, i have to trust my ears.

Having a good reference is very useful for sure, listening to low quality reproduction can definitely re-program your perception of how things should sound. Having a good quality reference to keep your ears as "golden" as possible is definitely a good idea.

But my former, original point stands - to find out what works best for the speakers in question and their owner you need to try the possible options. No amount of other peoples opinions will help with that. including mine.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 7:20pm
Completely agree with CSG, people will always there own subjective taste in sound, there own balance of compromise that works for them in there situation.  There is no overriding "correct" sound,  some people will favour tight impulse response over low harmonic distortion, some might accept higher THD as long as the IMD is kept low, for some imaging is very important, for others less so, different components in different applications all deliver different balance of distortions, some of which may be desirable to some users.

Even if distortion is not desirable designing or engineering a system will ALWAYS have some compromise and where how you balance compromise is where taste and subjectivity comes in.

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 7:30pm

Yes, from an engineering POV you can distinguish between good and bad engineering, or perhaps i should say accurate for inaccurate engineering - but at the end of the day music through speakers is all about establishing an emotional response to what is heard. I think in this day of staring at a computer screen to tune a system it is very important to remember that it is people who listen to the music, not a computer, and what might be perfect from an engineering point of view is often very far from perfect from a musical or emotional point of view.

Partly true. Emotional response is what we are after and surely that is managed in various ways. But nobody can't deny that great sound gives better response than poor sound, even if they both are emotionally as strong reactions :)

See, what i'm purely on about is the technical quality. Sound system should reproduce the signal going in 100%. If it falls short on that, it's not perfect system. And i know, they don't exist. Yet. But nothing should stop us from trying.

My background is music, having been taught several instruments from a very early age and i think that may give me a different position to those who's background is science or engineering where measurements and accuracy of results are key.

Your comment of distortion having to sound bad is untrue - tell that to the users of Marshall guitar amplification, or the users of scoop bins and pre-amps ( items that i regard more as musical instruments rather than mere engineering components) - there are times when accuracy are not what you want. 

Now you are confusing intentional and unintentional. Surely if artist or soundman wants his sound to be distorted, he/she can do that. But if the system does it for him/her automatically, that's wrong and classifies as bad sound. As a someone who can play stuff, i'm sure you appreciate that guitar sounds like a guitar and not like a banjo. And that is exactly what i'm talking about. If one amp makes system sound like a banjo, it's not a good amp.

Instruments are instruments, sound reproduction system is sound reproduction system and one should not be treated like the other.

There is also the relationship between different components of a system that are very hard to predict, hence my recommendation to try different options for real rather than relying on highly speculative and unreliable recommendations from others who have no direct experience of the overall system in question. 

I'm not dismissing the importance of measurements, accuracy or using the very powerful DSP tools that we now have available, but fundamentally, at the end of the day, i don't care what the numbers say, i have to trust my ears.

Very few things are not fairly accurately predictable and certain parts always behave certain way. Amp is an amp regardless of what box you put after it.  And those measurements, DSP and such are again related to subjective, not technical aspect of a system. Those you use to ensure you get the result you want. But you can't use them to compensate bad component, like an amp. What ever the amp sound is, it will be that and can not be fixed with amplitude or time domain controller (DSP)

Friend of mine has both APA and Delta amps. When his system runs with Delta amps it sounds good. But every sound engineer so far has noticed the difference when it runs with APA, in a very positive way. Same settings so only difference is the amps. And i do know about different DSPs doing things differently, but rarely the case within the products from the same company. Delta uses XTA DSP and same code as the APA DSP.

Having a good reference is very useful for sure, listening to low quality reproduction can definitely re-program your perception of how things should sound. Having a good quality reference to keep your ears as "golden" as possible is definitely a good idea.

But my former, original point stands - to find out what works best for the speakers in question and their owner you need to try the possible options. No amount of other peoples opinions will help with that. including mine.

Yes, reference point is always needed and ultimately it is the best you can find. Only then you know how much different you are and what needs fixing. But as i said earlier, certain technical aspects of an amp in this case, won't change depending on what box goes after it. And you also need to always consider people's different biases on their opinions. You run your system with Labs, you'll always like them and you'll always defend your decision to go with them. And nothing wrong with that, but it is an important factor to consider when comparing opinions. I don't own anything, i don't run systems as my day job. I'm extremely critical towards everything and always do my own testing and judging before voicing an opinion. Listening your system when you are engineering will not give me an idea how it sounds apart from some obvious facts. When i set it up, run it with my settings and the way i setup things, then i can say more accurate facts and opinions about it.

Toasty here knows as well that i like very few things in the field of audio and i think he also understands that and we agree to disagree on many times. And again, he uses Powersoft and Linea and thus his opinion will always be favourable for them. Normal human nature.

There is so much more in this whole thing than just quickly stated opinions based on fast thinking. But unfortunately that is the most commonly used way of thinking. I try my best to use slow thinking and question everything before reaching the conclusion. Hence i find myself disliking over 90% of the audio stuff out there. But there is always a reason for everything, when it is a bad design or when it is a commercial decision.

But there is always a reason.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Completely agree with CSG, people will always there own subjective taste in sound, there own balance of compromise that works for them in there situation.  There is no overriding "correct" sound,  some people will favour tight impulse response over low harmonic distortion, some might accept higher THD as long as the IMD is kept low, for some imaging is very important, for others less so, different components in different applications all deliver different balance of distortions, some of which may be desirable to some users.

Even if distortion is not desirable designing or engineering a system will ALWAYS have some compromise and where how you balance compromise is where taste and subjectivity comes in.

Subjective issues are again apart from technical issues. 100% accurate reproduction of the signal is always the best sound technically. Subjective and more importantly, artistic reasons and tastes are different thing.

Case amp L vs. amp X. Amp L has very mushy top end sound and lacks detail making certain things masked and sounds like tinfoil being crushed. Amp X on the other hand has all the detal and sounds neutral and doesn't add or take away anything from the input signal.

Which is the better amp?

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

If one amp makes system sound like a banjo, it's not a good amp.

this has to become your signature. i laughed properly at that line.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 8:18pm
100% accurate is never possible, there is always some compromise and therein lies decisions biased on taste / subjectivity.

Super linear / accurate speakers tend not to be to my tastes, eg i lived with some KH120s as my general listening speakers for a a couple of years and decided i prefer to listen to something that sounds nice rather than something that exposes every tiny detail, i have some focal CMS65s now and they gloss over the floors and sound rounder and smoother, there not as accurate as the Klein and Hummels but for me they are better, for a mastering engineer the KH120s would be a better choice, but nether is better overall.

Yes if you compare a crap amp to a nice ap you could say that the nice amp is better, but in the real world more often than not i find i prefer A/B/C quality's from option 1, but prefer X/Y/Z quality's from option 2, so the decision cannot be made objectively that option 1 or 2 is just "better" , i have to make decisions biased on what i think people will like the sound of, and that is not always super linearity.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 9:46pm
Well, i've said my piece and stand by it. i have a feeling that i will never win this discussion with you as we clearly have very different perceptions of sound engineering. I'm very happy with my working methods, they have stood me very well for the last couple of decades. If your methods work for you then i'm glad too.

Incidentally, and not that it matters i have been using Powersoft in my hire stock for some years, standardising on the X series platform as it is the best fit for what we need, the Lab PLM platform did us proud for many years and i still like the platform, but Lake is showing its age, Armonia and now Armonia Plus seems to have a lot more development energy going into it and i like the reliability and dependability of the amplifiers too.

That said, there are many fine products on the market and if something else works better for someone who am i to say they are wrong. Ill just concentrate on what is right for us and worry about my own affairs. I am very lucky that because the way i have structured my business, i can purchase what ever system i like the sound of the most rather than what ever happens to be the touring standard.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>