Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplifier Reviews
    Posted: 25 October 2013 at 5:27pm
Hi all

I am starting thread's to get consumer reviews on amplifiers with the aim of helping people to make informed decisions on there purchases,

So if people can write what they think of items they own and give them a mark out of ten, taking into consideration of price (if its budget) as well then that would be brilliant

Also if you read someone's review on a item you own and totally disgree with what they say then dont write anything like "Well actually I own the..... as well and I in fact disgree that .......  is as good as you say, I think that..........."

if you think otherwise then please just write a review with what you think, hopefully this will stop it from getting too off topic. when you come to use this review information to help you, then can I suggest that you in the eventuality of there being more than one review take what the generally consenus says. Although this is totally up to you what to decide.

Hopefully this thread will work Wink
Tobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 5:39pm
Mackie MI1400 FR Review

Well its Mackie, not a bad brand altho you can do better.

The power on this Amp is 250RMS @ 8ohms, so it could do with being a bit more powerfull. Lots of switches on the back, High Pass Filter anything up to 125K i believe  Constant Horn Directivetly, Low Pass Filter which can be switched from Frequenices and also Bridge mode

Overall I would say that this amp is more suited to run Mid Top then anything else, lacks power & also grunt to make it any good as a bass amp, It does sound very good for what it is at the moment I am using it as my mid top amp and I am pretty happy with it although some say "it can be too bright a sound"

So to sum it up

Very Reliable amp, good sound quality very natural sounding, good useful amount of switches on back . Lacks power to be used in a big 10K setup as FOH Mid Top Amp i'd say, also can sound "a bit too bright"

Although as a monitor amp then this would be perfect for a big setup

So taking into account of the cost (less than £500) I am going to give this  7/10 * for the reasons as said above.

Edited by Tobie - 28 October 2013 at 1:34pm
Tobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 5:49pm
Behringer Europower 2000

Runs 2000RMS @ 4Ohm Bridge

First I would like to say I dont own this amp although I have been helping my mate with Eq'ing his rig and he owns two, So I can really only comment on what it's like on Bass Duty

Its Behringer, it is a Class H Amp so it has plenty of grunt and balls to do bass (for you that dont know Class H Amps have the ability to up the power voltage on the power rails which make then good for bass) Very Dynamic amp good at bass although it does lack sound quality, but on that same note it doesn't sound terrible by any means.

It can be hard to get the Gain Structure bang on as the clip lights either on or not as there are not power LED lights, I am not certain if this is just me though ?   Also I dont think it would cut the mustard as a mid top amp as it does lack good sound quality

I cant really give this a rating as I have only used it on two nights, but I was impressed with it for what it was (budget amp) and for the money there probably isnt much better, I would recommend them if you was after a new amp for cheap (or a second hand amp for sod all)
Tobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 5:59pm
Opus HD1500

600 RMS @8 Ohms

Well what can I say very good amp, very reliable, Crystal Clear Hi fi sound with good power behind it can run at 2Ohms all night without getting hot, the red light is just a red light and not a clip light as well. It think it is a good all around amp, if they didnt weight so bloody much id happily use Opus Amps to run my full setup.

Most people say that this amp is a Mid top which yes it is and it does a very good job of it,l but also think personally its okay at doing bass, very musical bass lines has a fair amount power behind it being 1500 per channel @2ohms and for a Class AB amp it does a pretty good job of it. Also the damping factor is fairly ok being 1000 / 1

The downsides of this amp are

It weights a TON being 40Kg's which means two things moving it around can be unplesant and also if you have to send it off to be serviced or repaired it can be costly depending on what couriers deal you can get, Also there isnt any switches on the back, not even bridge mode.

Overall Id give this amp 8/10 Stars the only down side to it is its weight

Very good all round amp Very Balanced Sound

Edited by Tobie - 28 October 2013 at 1:34pm
Tobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 6:03pm
Well ive started a few, when I get a chance i'll start other threas for DJ mixers & Big mixing desk // DSP's X-overs, Graphic eq & limiters // Speakers and so forth.....
thepersonunknown View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 10:05pm
i hate to be negative and offer nothing (i could give a few reviews, not as many or as well as some others about here, but anyone who has been on here for a while will probably agree that doing this can often be volatile and it does actualy get boring very quickly)

that said i like ur idea iniciative (all be it a litle idealisticSmile, dont worry speakerplans wil soon fix that), not to mention ur effort in getting the ball rolling. i hope my schepticizm is proven wrong and this develpos into a nice users review (by users) without any 88mm and flack jackets needed.

sorry to be a picknick rainer onnerSmile
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 11:07pm
Will be very useful if this thread increases in content, to have a set of links in it's first post to individual products so that the posted comments can easily be located.

Think that this could be down to Tobie as he can edit the first post
Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Tobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 10:07am

Yes that's a good point mik otherwise it would be a bit of a nightmare finding the relevant review, so how wud I go about doing this mik ?

Also I kinda hoped the bit were I say if u disgree with some1s review, then don't write a post saying u disargee with them, instead just write a review with wot u think

Do y think that ell work ? If not what can we do ?

Edited by Tobie - 26 October 2013 at 10:14am
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 10:59am
think that if you use the hyperlink from notification Emails as a link with added comment* on what the post is about, inserted using the edit function in your first post - then this may work?

* probably will need to be sorted into some sort of alphabetical order, by manufacturer(?), and perhaps a '+' or '-' comment added to the link depending on the post content?

am sure that others will have ideas!
Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Tobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 11:21am
Yeh or alternativly I can make one big post in alpha order with saying review by....
Tobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 11:43am

Numark Dimension 4
450 RMS @ 8Ohms

This amp has a fair amount of switches on the back being limiters high pass either 30hz or 40hz Bridge mode, low pass up too 200hz and a fair amount of power too These were the reason why I chose this amp, it was a bad choice. It lacks real grunt or balls for it to be a bass amp, it doesn't really wow when it comes to sound quality altho the low mid isn't too bad for sound quality in saying that. For the original rrp price of £600 I'd expect better, I'd expect it to wow you in at least one space or form but it doesn't (I didn't pay that for it I got mine 2nd hand) for that sort of money your looking at mackie fr2800, crown XTI 2000 berry europower 2000 or a low powered matrix all which far superior. If you need a amp you don't care about that's got power then this is it(suicide rig) other than that don't go there you can do better for the money. it isn't the worst amp in history (sound lab etc), but for the money you can do better,it lacks any real grunt of make it any good as a bass amp and it lacks any decent sound quality for it to be a mid top amp. I dont know what Numark was actually aiming for when they designed this amp, maybe if it was a bit less powerful and cheaper then maybe overall  

4\10 stars

Edited by Tobie - 28 October 2013 at 1:37pm
Tobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 5:38pm
I am currently in the process of buying a Mc2 T2000, be very interested to see which is better Opus HD1500 or the T2000 on mid top. I reckon the T2000 will have the edge slightly altho it is probably going to be a preference thing.

What do people think the results of a simple A-B test will be ?

Ultmately I will be using the Opus to run 4 SB215's as its very suited for that, so I will be def getting a Mc2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>