Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amps available today ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2019 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by C-Audiofreak C-Audiofreak wrote:

Performance and reliability as well as longevity not bothered on weight prefer a transformer rather than switch mode ps

Why ?

QSC CX1102  more  power, lighter, sounds just as good as MA2400 - Lightweight, Cheap
QSC PL4        matches MA3600VZ For Kick (Not sub)
Void Infinite   8MK2, blows away MA3600VZ/MA5000VZ on sub
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2019 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Performance and reliability as well as longevity not bothered on weight prefer a transformer rather than switch mode ps

Why ?

QSC CX1102  more  power, lighter, sounds just as good as MA2400 - Lightweight, Cheap

With the exception of the CX 1102 (Which cannot touch the Crown MA 2400 for bass) all the other amplifiers are discontinued.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2019 at 6:53pm
Because switch mode psu I’ve had in the past didn’t like generators the sae amps didn’t like generators either but never had an issue with the transformer amps

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Why ?

With the exception of the CX 1102 (Which cannot touch the Crown MA 2400 for bass) all the other amplifiers are discontinued.

Best Regards,

All the amps I mentioned, are easily obtainable in the UK.

And anyone using Crown MA2400 on sub, in 21st century, needs more than help.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2019 at 7:47pm
If the CROWN MA series was "the top of the line" back in the day (not sure when QSC EX series showed up), then why don't we look at equal "top of the line" amps of today? disregard the weight and DSP capabillties and focus on the other aspects like sound and so on.

Top products from names like lab.gruppen, digam powersoft, linea research, PKN, etc. springs to mind, they are all SMPS based (not sure if any top model from any manufacturer today offers anything else), as for reliability I guess it is difficult to answer since they have not been around that long.

I think this comparrison may be a bit unfair, even though I understand the macrotech amps where (and still are some say) amazing surley the evolution of amplifiers for the last 30 years cannot have been all about weightsaving and powerdensity? or?

Edited by martinsson - 13 December 2019 at 8:45pm
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2019 at 9:38pm

Why ?

Best Regards,

I thought the MA2400 bridged on subs sounded good.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2019 at 11:05pm

Why ?

Best Regards,

It is not a matter of being obtainable but more to wards buying an amplifier in production today. Replacing a discontinued amplifier for another discontinued amplifier makes no logical sense to attain a mere +0.5 dB to +1.5 dB (if that much) differential in terms of output. That is wasted money on the buyer's part.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 13 December 2019 at 11:40pm
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2019 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by martinsson martinsson wrote:

If the CROWN MA series was "the top of the line" back in the day (not sure when QSC EX series showed up), then why don't we look at equal "top of the line" amps of today? disregard the weight and DSP capabillties and focus on the other aspects like sound and so on.

Top products from names like lab.gruppen, digam powersoft, linea research, PKN, etc. springs to mind, they are all SMPS based (not sure if any top model from any manufacturer today offers anything else), as for reliability I guess it is difficult to answer since they have not been around that long.

I think this comparrison may be a bit unfair, even though I understand the macrotech amps where (and still are some say) amazing surley the evolution of amplifiers for the last 30 years cannot have been all about weightsaving and powerdensity? or?

Yes. Comparing top of the line to top of the line is how it is supposed to be. People choose products based on convenience. A lot of people are willing to sacrifice something based on a feature which is more convenient for their needs. There are a chosen few that are not willing to make such sacrifices as the feature is not worth it in their eyes. It is the same chosen few, that tends to get ridiculed for not moving with the crowd and, looked upon as the outsider.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 13 December 2019 at 11:39pm
Elliot Thompson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2019 at 7:14am
Ever so slightly OT, but still connected to the topic, in the other end of the cable I see the oposite situation, since power became cheap, or cheaper when compared to what you had to pay for ~2kW/Ch in the early nineties, loudspeaker development towards high efficiency started to decline.

My thinking is that this has lead to the current state of affairs where all but a very few offer anything but stock standard inefficient surfacemounted designs with the subs tuned down to the borderline infrasonic, which apart from being excedingly booring soundwise (according to me) also does harm to the definition, punch and details of the presentation.

Sorry about this little OT adventure, just had to write that even if it makes me come across as old and grumphy ;) (I'm really not)
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2019 at 7:20am
No makes perfect sense mate same goes with the powered speakers the amp module is usually cheap Chinese shite made to sound ok but because people accept it ,it’s what sells I guess
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2019 at 8:19am
Originally posted by martinsson martinsson wrote:

Ever so slightly OT, but still connected to the topic, in the other end of the cable I see the oposite situation, since power became cheap, or cheaper when compared to what you had to pay for ~2kW/Ch in the early nineties, loudspeaker development towards high efficiency started to decline.

My thinking is that this has lead to the current state of affairs where all but a very few offer anything but stock standard inefficient surfacemounted designs with the subs tuned down to the borderline infrasonic, which apart from being excedingly booring soundwise (according to me) also does harm to the definition, punch and details of the presentation.

Sorry about this little OT adventure, just had to write that even if it makes me come across as old and grumphy ;) (I'm really not)

I disagree. Efficiencies were able to be found elsewhere because power was a ‘solved problem’

Much of the old ‘efficient’ cabinets or designs lauded by those with rose tinted nostalgia glasses have horrendous levels of distortion, bad pattern control, exhibit pattern flip, have poor frequency extension, and lack time coherence. Issues that become much more prominent when deployed in large arrays.

That’s not to say they were bad designs. They weren’t. They were great foundations to build upon.

These are all areas that have seen immense focus and improvement in the past 20 years. If you think sound was ‘better back then’ you’re living in a nostalgia narrative. I do think that maybe things have gone too far into ‘turnkey’ with the term ‘engineer’ being misapplied to many FOH guys these days, but there is no denying that progress has been made. Especially in terms of coverage. There is no excuse for ‘cheap seats’.

Audio is a set of compromises, that an ‘engineer’ is willing to CHOOSE to make. It may seem that we have chosen to sacrifice a lot for convenience in the major leagues, but there is also quite a lot to achieving that convenience. I think this is the difference between people who actively work in the research side of the industry and those who are users or punters. It all seems like nothing is done but there is a lot - after all, if you do your job well in sound, it should be invisible and all the focus given to the performer.

Edited by toastyghost - 14 December 2019 at 8:28am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2019 at 9:14am
I agree that there is a lot going on in transducer developent, materials, modeling accuracy (both speakers and venue/coverage) and dsp implementation, but as far as loudspeaker design goes it has in my opinion stagnated resulting in a massive conformaty in products offered from the big names, save for a few, very few infact, that keeps at it, but I'm not above being wrong about this.

Edited by martinsson - 14 December 2019 at 9:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>