Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amps available today ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

People have better things to do than correct your gibberish. 

Quite. This and a few other threads of late have really made me reconsider my time and posting here entirely. I'm pretty much out at this point after 13 years of being a member, there is far too much self-aggrandizing crap and very, very little actual science or data being done. It's the same old people spouting the same old feedback loops and misleading those who come here to learn, and I'm done trying to correct the direction.

There's a reason why established, respected speaker designers and engineers post with aplomb on other forums and not this one. It's almost embarrassing to raise the subject of Speakerplans in person at conventions or meetings, it is not taken remotely seriously for the reasons stated above. Which is a shame, given the history and some amazing contributions in the early years to the world of audio.

Good luck to you all.

Edited by toastyghost - 17 December 2019 at 2:26pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2019 at 3:04pm

Ohms Law

200 volts into 32 ohm load will bring forth 1250 watts

70.7 volts into 4 ohm load will bring forth 1250 watts

200 volts into a 4 ohm load is 10,000 watts

There is the Science.

A Loudspeaker's impedance varies with frequency

There are the measurements

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 17 December 2019 at 3:05pm
Elliot Thompson
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2019 at 11:02am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

People have better things to do than correct your gibberish. 

Quite. This and a few other threads of late have really made me reconsider my time and posting here entirely. I'm pretty much out at this point after 13 years of being a member, there is far too much self-aggrandizing crap and very, very little actual science or data being done. It's the same old people spouting the same old feedback loops and misleading those who come here to learn, and I'm done trying to correct the direction.

There's a reason why established, respected speaker designers and engineers post with aplomb on other forums and not this one. It's almost embarrassing to raise the subject of Speakerplans in person at conventions or meetings, it is not taken remotely seriously for the reasons stated above. Which is a shame, given the history and some amazing contributions in the early years to the world of audio.

Good luck to you all.

Got to say this is a shame. Your posts are some of the most educated,  informed and informative on here. You help a lot of people.  

It would be substantially poorer here if you do decide not to keep posting. 
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2019 at 11:23am
I will be very sad to see you go Toasty. Respect for all the info you give. Just because people don't reply or comment doesn't mean it hasn't helped. I am sure there are lot's of avid Toasty fans.
Who else will keep us upto date?
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2019 at 11:29am
Yes Kyle you are one of the most knowledgable and experienced members on here from the "new breed" of todays engineers and at times make my 50 years experience seem insignificant.
I can fully understand why Speakerplans is regarded as a bit of a joke by experienced sound people from the Pro end of the market due to a very wide mix of beginners,the reggae crowd and experienced guys with their own successful companies which does make for a very varied mix which really should not work together but somehow it does and we all get on well together(well most of the time).
I have been extremely pissed off on here a few times and been on the verge of quitting but I am glad that I didn't after calming down a bit and giving myself a bit of space and time to reflect and due to the fact that I use the Forum page as my Screensaver would probably find it a bit difficult after time.

Edited by Robbo - 18 December 2019 at 11:50am
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2019 at 11:54am
Another one bites the dust... And another one who cant figure out how to ignore threads and opinions that doesnt agree with hes own.

Well.. our lives should go on anyways, regardless of other peoples opinions :)

Cyklist View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2019 at 12:12pm
purple monkey dishwasher
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2019 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

And another one who cant figure out how to ignore threads and opinions that doesnt agree with hes own.

However such things are not always opinions but just scientific based facts. 
And then you have the problem that a lot of people who visit this forum (or others), don't know how to see which information is correct.

Having the acces to so much information can have its disadvantages.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2019 at 4:31pm
Agreed. But yet again, i have seen more usefull advices and guides from one of them, than the other. And the other one has a bad habbit of being just a bit too wize-a** around some things. Instead of helping or stay out of the thread :)
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2019 at 5:53pm
Expirience and knowledge does not justify a disruptive and non-constructive behaviour, nor excuse it, and neither does the lack of the same, I don't come here and expect to be educated, that's my own responsibility, and asking questions or making inqusitive statements is part of that process.

Now I don't know if there is a lot of history behind what  just happened here and I don't care, this forum is not for the experts or long time acquainted only, if I'm wrong, out of line or violate forum protocol i expect to be told right, preferably with an explanation so I can correct it.
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2019 at 9:07pm
F**k ther reggae crowd eh? not many on here anymore.

And one less...
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by martinsson martinsson wrote:

[QUOTE=martinsson]

What really makes me wonder is when you see specifications like peak output without further references to time, load, frequency/bandwidth or channels driven.

High wattage figures generate more chatter and sales in the audio market. So unless you have an Oscilloscope with some 4-ohm dummy loads to measure the amplifier's output to determine the RMS, you are at the mercy of what the marketing department wants to state in terms of wattage.

That's one thing that's always annoyed me, the fact that many amplifier manufacturers don't put the amp's actual continuous average power ratings in the specs, it does seem it's all about selling amps and tricking customers into thinking an amp is very powerful when in reality the continuous average power is much, much lower. I wish some organisation or government body would step in andforce manufacturers to publicise the continuous average power ratings of the amps and whether it's a 1khz or full bandwidth rating which maybe a note at the bottom of the specs to tell customers how long the amp can sustain that rated power. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>