Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amps for 4-way soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ribbitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amps for 4-way soundsystem
    Posted: 06 June 2020 at 7:56am
I'm just beginning plans for a 4-way one stack soundsystem.  Minimal audio competency here; your anticipated indulgence is kindly appreciated. Below are possible drivers, perhaps not the ones that end up on the system, to give an idea of the power needs.

Subs: 2x PD 1850 (800 W power rating at 8 ohm)
Low-mids: 2x PD 154 (500 W power rating at 8 ohm)
Mid-tops: 2x PD (300 W power rating at 8 ohm)
Tops: 2x BMS 4554 (80 W power rating at 8 ohm)

One amp seems reasonable for the subs with 800 W or more per channel at 8 ohm.  Simple enough.  But how to power the remaining three ways is where I'm uncertain on the best configuration.  Would it be possible or advisable to power the remaining six drivers with one amp, say with a 2000 W at 8 ohm capacity, or would two additional amps (three amps total) be needed at a minimum?  

When you daisy-chain drivers, which seems needed short of 4 x 2-channel amps, how do you ensure the amp is sending the appropriate amount of power to each driver, or does this happen without any additional steps required?  In case it's important, I plan to run the system from a 4-way reggae preamp. No idea yet on cabinet designs.

There are other threads on with similar topics, although I'm not finding any to address my exact newbie questions.  Thank you in advance!  
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 8:23am
Okay, not sure where to start but I see that your starting from the very beginning. Each speaker needs a very specific set of the frequencies sent to otherwise it will be damaged. For this you need a crossover or loudspeaker management system. That you are unaware of this means that running a four way system is probably beyond what is reasonable to do with you current knowledge. 

Please, I mean no offence by this. The path is steep and it really is best to start of simple. Box design/type also plays into your choices. As a minimum you need three amp channels and this is running in mono. One for the bass (fed from an active crossover, one for the low mids (fed from different output on crossover and a third to run the high mids and tops with what’s called a passive crossover sitting in the box. 

You’d certainly be better off building bass cabs and buying some pre made tops with passive crossovers in them. These can be transferred to DJ monitor duty as the system (and your understanding) grows.
blah blah blah blah blah......
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 8:27am
Sorry, for some reason massively missed the bit about the pre amp. Stupid tiny phone screen! You need at the very least one amp channel for each output. So two dual channel amps this will give you a mono stack. Ideally you want to have one amp per output matched to the driver so eight amp channels in total giving stereo. 
blah blah blah blah blah......
 Post Reply Post Reply