Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any good for use on low bass ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2021 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

Nice one David

Smaller driver such as 12CL64 (4r) may be worth a look too, given the low power available.

F10 will be lower , but SPL will suffer slightly too.

I did look at that, unfortunately the 4 ohm versions have very low Qe, meaning there's quite a sag in the bass range, so even though it'd draw more power being 4  ohms, it doesn't keep up with the 8 ohm 15".

I also looked at using 2 of the 8 ohm version; while that gets louder than the 15" it doesn't get as deep, unless the cab can be made bigger still.

Two of the 10CL51 would be hilariously light and get about as loud & low as the 15", though would be a bit more ££. 
Not as suitable for upgrading the amp later however as they'd already be close to max excursion on the existing amp.

I actually do think that the 15CL76 in the biggest box that Slaz can afford to make out of the Hexalite panels (and indeed carry up & down the stairs), is the sweet spot right now, FWIW.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2021 at 5:13pm
Wow ! Only just spotted these posts .... thanks v. much guys !!

But - <sigh> I'm still humming and hahing about what to do.

I'd love to have a bit of bass extension, but I'm also thinking along the lines of what studio45 posted

"Personally I've just given up on the idea of bass below 60Hz on my mobile rig, it's just too much effort!"

More bulk, more weight, another trolley arrangement, more storage space, more batteries reqd. prob a bigger amplfier, possibly a DSP or active Xover .... and quite a bit more money - aaaargh !!

Also wondering if I had a proper EQ/DSP and maybe a Pioneer GM-D amplifier with a bit more power/headroom, might I squeeze an extra few Hz out of the FBT mid-top ?

OTH - I do kinda like the idea of using that Hexalite stuff for a speaker box !!

Weather/daylight is on the up, getting a bit nearer the "season" now .... need to decide soon.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 2:04pm
Aye, unfortunately easy, light, cheap, loud, low & good for battery life just isn't a combo that works together, sorry.

On the other hand, leftfield thinking time....

What if you ditch (ie sell to help with costs) the Maxx4 altogether?
A 15" 2way with the 15CL76 as modelled already and a decent HF could save you needing to carry 2 cabs in the first place?
RCF ND640 (hell, maybe even the new B&C DE111 - seems too good to be true but as you're not trying to thrash out insane volumes might just be enough) on an HF94 should be able to cross over quite low, and only adds 2.4kg (or 1.6 with the DE111!) to the weight of the cab, just as an example.
I would recommend biamping that, partly because it's easier then designing a passive crossover (you can make repeated adjustments incredibly easily when it's just tweaking values on a screen) and partly because the Thomann DSP 4x4 Mini already runs off a 12V supply, saving the hassle of converting up to 240V to run most other DSP's.

Re: EQing the Maxx4, we'd need a bit more info about it to be able to give any useful advice.
Do you have a datasheet for it by any chance? I've googled and can't find one.
Failing, that, do you have any test equipment, or even the opportunity to do a small practical test please?

I'd like to know what frequency the ports are tuned to, as that will dictate how low it might be possible to apply any useful boost. Even without test equipment, you can get a feel for that by literally resting your fingers against the cone and sweeping a sine wave through it at moderate volume (just enough to feel the vibration). There will be a frequency, probably somewhere between 45 & 65Hz for a speaker like this, where the vibration is minimized, with more vibration above & below. That is the port tuning frequency.

Also, have you ever tried running the Maxx4 just on one single channel of your amp?
If so, how much poorer would you say its maximum volume was compared to when you bridge 2 channels of the amp please?

Cheers,
David.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 7:09pm
Bit late to the party but I use the Beyma 15G40 (http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA15G40-8) to run the low end of my small system in cabs about 55cm cubed (roughly).  I get a pretty usable response down to about 45Hz which is enough for small live and mobile disco jobs. I put little 3" castors on them and use them to wheel the tops around on.

I've also had good results with the Beyma 15LX60, 18Sound 15LW1401, B&C 15PS40 (older driver) and there will be options.  The old Eminence Kappa15LF was pretty good for such jobs too.

While it might be tempting to go for neo, I'm not sure it makes enough difference to the weight of the cab to make the price premium worthwhile, especially if you have to go for a lower spec driver to meet your budget.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123