Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any good reading material (actual copy not online)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any good reading material (actual copy not online)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any good reading material (actual copy not online)
    Posted: 28 August 2017 at 7:40pm
I feel the need to learn a bit more than the very little I know currently.
Are there any good books (yes... I want something in my hand) that may help a 'newb' understand sound systems, from the physics thru amps / speakers etc.
Ive been reading online, but spending a day in front of a screen in my day job then reading online in the evening isnt working for me, hence the need for an actual physical book in my hand 
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 8:43pm
A book you say?... sounds like very old technology...

Kindle, Kobo, tablet... does it have to be colated painted tree shavings?

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

A book you say?... sounds like very old technology...

Kindle, Kobo, tablet... does it have to be colated painted tree shavings?

Yup - im looking for actual paper, spend too much time 'on line' so want some down time, with something I can actually hold in my hands and read Big smile
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 12:07am
I think this 'book' thing is a typo that his spellcheck failed to pick up..

If he'd been writing his post on a Nook this would never have happened!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 1:25am
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 2:14pm
Bob McCarthy's Sound Systems: Design and Optimization

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 2:28pm
Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" is a hardcopy publication.

+1 to the Gary Davis - aka "the Yamaha book" too.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 2:59pm
The JBL 'PA Book' (or better, Sound System Design Reference Manual) and EV PA Bible - but you´ll have to download and print them out yourself.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 6:18pm
Super Stars - thank you all Smile
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 6:01am
+1 for printing, if you have access to a good b/w laser printer and a comb binder.
If you google for bob mc carthy, he has written another book for eaw some time ago, that also has a lot of good info to start, and is a bit less heavy than his (excellent) grand tome
genericpurpleturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genericpurpleturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 7:36pm
IainB did you get any of these? Were they good? What sort of knowledge level did they cater for?
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 4:40pm
hi
i started building my system and learning this craft a couple years ago, I wish i had read more manuals and less forums in the beginning.
i've read the yamaha, jbl and ev handbooks online and then bought real copies of Mc Carthy's sound system design and optimization and Dickason's cookbook.

You could start with ev and yamaha handbooks in pdf, they are quite simple and contain the basics about soundsystems.
the jbl soundsystem design refernce manual, still a free pdf, goes more into detail with physics and acoustics involved.
With this foundation you will be ready for the Mc Carthy book, even if it targets big scale operations it contains a lot of unvaluable infos, and he is very good at making difficult concepts easy to understand, and with a nerdy humor too.
The Dickason book goes very deep into closed, reflex and bandpass design principles and even trensducer building, and although it requires more math that i can handle, you still can get the principles even if you can't read every equation.

I'd be curious to read about Acoustics, i think Olson (?) is one of the authors to read, but i think it's still too math for me...

now is there something with the same authority as the Mc Carthy or the Dickason books, but about horn design?
I have been reading various papers by Don Keele and Others, but many are very old and some are surely outdated, and they are clearly aimed at fellow engineers so harder to get than the previously mentioned books for a non engineer like me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>