Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any idea what to load these weird subs with?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any idea what to load these weird subs with?
    Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:17am
Got given a pair of these boxes unloaded, found a little bit of info on them here - https://www.poweraudio.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=9677 but got no idea about what sort of driver will be suitable. I would prefer to be able to run them as a kick bin but the description on that thread seems like they are designed for sub bass.

They are designed for the magnets to sit on the outside but that makes no sense to me as they fire into a large chamber with a small port that goes into a horn. makes more sense to mount them paper facing forward so its a more like a reflex with a flared port.

Either way any suggestions on drivers would be good. I've got a pair of Eminence Omega Pro's but would need to source another pair or could get some RCF 18P300 for a good price but as these were free boxes I want to keep the cost down as much as possible so looking at budget options if at all possible.

Plan:

Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 12:16pm
I believe power audio is Mircea Bartic who is a member on here. Might be worth a PM to him.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
CHAMPION View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAMPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 12:30pm
Also very Similar to the EV MTL1x

18sound LW2400 sound nice 
Sticks n Stones
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 12:31pm
They're a hybrid design a bit like an EV T18 or a Cubo.

You could look at the Cubo 18 Hornresp input parameters as a starting point for modelling it, as it's basically the same design but with variation on segment diameters/lengths and chamber sizes. Main difference being some path length after the driver and a much narrower throat. Shouldn't be too difficult to sim at least enough to know if a driver will perform adequately in it.

Given the size and loading it should be suitable for sub, and these hybrid designs are known for being quite forgiving on driver selection. High efficiency bandwidth product, BL, xmax, etc and you can't go far wrong. It would work for kicks if you wanted it to. 
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 12:55pm
Based on T18 and Cubo performance the Omega would make a good kick cab
It's everything, not everythink!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 1:22pm
When I say it's basically the same design I only mean to the extent that it shares a loading arrangement so the starting point for modelling it properly would be the same. Performance and optimal drivers could be way off, but a driver that does very well in a Cubo should be at least decent.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 1:52pm
Installing the drivers cone facing out will make the back chamber smaller, thus tuning the box higher.
So it will lose few Hz on the low end.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:08pm
Putting the magnets in the chamber will also reduce the amount of cooling for the drivers.
 Post Reply Post Reply