Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any ideas on PA speakers and systems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt86ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any ideas on PA speakers and systems
    Posted: 26 January 2022 at 2:11am
HI everyone, my question now is with regards to my Dynacord Powermax P5 Rig, a few of you may already have seen my previous posts, I'm now contemplating selling the P5, it has certainly done me proud over the last number of years, pm2600 amp still rocks, but as I said on my previous posts with regards to today's technology there has to a pa cost effective
on the value of the P5 Dynacord PA, which back in its day cost a small fortune, but now realistically say its still of value but max I would say €2500/2700?
the Amp PM2600 is definately of significant value
it has been said to me its time to move it on and look for something to replace it in or around the sale value, but really is there anything on the market today to match or beat the P5 on sound, power, and light weight,
One mare of mine who is a professional Dj said
Why not invest on a pair of Martin Audio CDD live 15s, and no need at all of bins and the 2 cabs alone would blow the P5 out of the water, even he says just one of the CDD's
that's all great but for 1 of these
Your looking at big money, around €3,500 or more,
So I would once again appreciate some of the forum members advice and thoughts, 2 heads are always better than 1 LOL
I don't want to spend crazy money for my band and disco, just something of value to replace the Dynacord P5 in todays market, or! even a good secondhand pa no more than 6 or 7 years old, after all we've been locked down for 2 years,
sorry if this is a bit long winded, just wanted to explain best I could as to what I'm looking to achieve here     
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2022 at 2:29pm
Do you have any actual problems/gripes with the system?

Did you buy it brand new? How long have you had it?

Unless you are really unhappy about the sound, or the handling, why would you want to change it? 

I am not sure if your expectation of resale value is realistic, but of course it would depend on the condition of the set. 

Dynacord offers very good product support and spares for old products.

There are so many products on the market that no one can really help you unless you provide a bit more specific information about the use scenarios, venue sizes, etc......
What kind of gigs do you do, what kind of music is played, what are you trying to achieve? 

Your post sounds like the system has so far served you well, but others are suggesting you update and replace it? 
matt86ie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt86ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2022 at 1:25am
Hi thanks, the p 5 was for my 4 piece band, about 15 years old if say, bought nearly new, band was live drums, keyboards/bass lead and rhythm guitar Inc 2 vocalists,
Mainly weddings all genre or music, country rock pop etc, also used for Discos, so feel maybe the system is getting tired,
Now I also have 2 yamaha starepas 1k one man band or 2 piece
Backing tracks, guitar keyboards
Stagepas connecting my cms 1000, leaving my 15' tops at home for for smaller venues, usually 350 to 400 guests,
now I'm one man and Disco, there has to be something of excellence to better or match the P5
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2022 at 3:42am
Originally posted by matt86ie matt86ie wrote:

there has to be something of excellence to better or match the P5 

There are plenty of ways to beat that performance now with powered speakers, but an all in one box like the Martin won't do it and you don't need to spend that kind of money. Any of the top shelf powered offerings from EV, JBL, RCF, Yamaha and others will beat what you have and be easier to move. You will need 18" subs if you want the same lowend thump but there is no need at all for 15" mains, and with these you lose the need for an amp rack completely so less boxes to move and store. 
With FOH duty for a live band in the mix the RCF art932 should be up at the top of this list, pair those with 8003 subs for a kick ass system.
matt86ie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt86ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2022 at 1:01am
Thank you so much for your very much appreciated advice, I'll check out your suggestions here, you are right, there is absolutely no need for spending huge cash for the Martin audio CDD Live, I did hear musicians speak of the Rcf
all I'm really afraid of is that red flashing light, like what shows on my Yamaha 1ks after an hour and a half into a gig, but I'm probably expecting them to do and put out the same sound I'm getting from the P5 system, which I know is not possible, ok for small gigs but a big wedding forget it, small pub ideal, but yeah I think your onto my train of thinking now and what im hoping to achieve without! spending a small fortune, so yes I look forward now to reading up on your suggestion, and look for best price and after this weekends gig sell on my P5 bins and pm2600 amp, thanks again for your advice   
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2022 at 1:28am
Originally posted by matt86ie matt86ie wrote:

all I'm really afraid of is that red flashing light, like what shows on my Yamaha 1ks after an hour and a half into a gig,
Yamaha makes some great stuff but the Stagepass systems are Fisher Price toys next to those RCF 932s or even Yamahas own DZR12. Powered speakers have come a loooooooooooooog way just in the last decade, you will be absolutely floored with how well these thing perform. 

Edited by Conanski - 28 January 2022 at 1:29am
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2022 at 9:13am
But keep in mind; dynacord has quite a specific sound. a bit like putting a old but cosy sweater on. it's not very fancy but you feel great in it. when listening to modern systems bear in mind they might sound quite different and take that into account when listening. 
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2022 at 10:46am
Bear in mind you could keep your old system, but simply substitute the tops, if you are happy with the subwoofer performance. 

Either more potent/up to date passive tops, or some active tops, as suggested above.

Would be easier to finance as well, instead of having to upgrade your subs at the same time. 

matt86ie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt86ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2022 at 1:34pm
Hi now we are smokin! thanks to everyone for taking an interest here, right if I were to hold onto my Dynacord P5 subs and buy either as you say the yamaha or the Rcf tops, how do i go about the connection process, with the P5 it was just
L/R from my desk to the Pm2600 then firstly to the bins and connecting each bin to the tops with switch on each top to system, everyone has their own way on connecting systems, but that was my way since day 1,
now if I go rcf or yamaha these are Active and I'm very much drawn to Rcf you mentioned, not overly expensive and 2100w of power in each sounds impressive for a 12"top,
I did get an offer to sell my P5 bins and System amp only, but now when I checked price on Thomann of the 8003s I nearly got heart failure
I have to say I'm happy with my purchase on the 1k's
for small pubs, Fisher price toy maybe but to walk in a narrow
door with 2 pa's in your hands at a 1000w a side is a pleasure indeed,
It's a catch 22 situation really for me now, keeping the P5 bins is most likely the best solution for now and selling my 15" tops, now to decide on Rcf or Yamaha and how to connect it all
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2022 at 3:20pm
Going half way with powered speakers makes things clumsy, signal connection is done by either going to the powered boxes first and coming back to the amp, or by using an separate output from the desk to feed the subs. And RCF further complicates matters by putting the crossover in the subs only, that means you have to provide a crossover some other way... either from the desk if possible or with outboard gear. Most other manufacturers split it up and provide a selectable high pass in mains and lowpass in the subs.

BTW, if you're not doing full band support anymore you probably don't need two subs.

Edited by Conanski - 28 January 2022 at 3:24pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2022 at 8:47pm
Note that this is coming from someone that religiousley hates Dynacord.
It is extremely popular with the local bands and it is the main reason behing all of them having absolutely wrong idea how good sound sytem should sound.
Dynacord is simply too bright and screams when pushed loud.
It is why it is very hard to beat it with almost any modern system because they simply dont sound the same.
If you are used to that distinctive sound and like it, you will have problem accepting any substitute.
We did few weeks ago a gig in a hotel ballroom where we had 20 line arrays, 8 double 18s and 8 15 inch coaxial stage monitors.
It was a program where 5 bands had to play on same stage. As bands vans were coming they pretty much all unloaded one Dynacord XA2 system each. 
It was a fight to pursway them not to put at least one of the systems as addition to the PA system.
Note that is was a gig for 700 people and the system we put was total overkill for the room.
At the end they still put one XA2 system as stage fill because they simply dont know how to play on any other sound system.
So you better rent something first and see how you and your clients react to it before you sell it. 
If you were here, that system of your you could sell for like 5000 euro easy.

Edited by MarjanM - 28 January 2022 at 8:49pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
matt86ie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt86ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2022 at 12:01am
Hi, yes your correct, I am used to the Dynacord sound and change to something else will not be easy,even now I have an 18th birthday party tomorrow night, looking at about 100 people, could be more, but beside me I have my yamaha 1k's in the living room, and in the van is my P5, I'm playing oneman band and disco, and the crowd is mixed, definately won't be a laid back gig, so I think it would be wise go with the full P5 setup, you see that's the thing, I know if I have to push on volume the 1ks will be under pressure and that blasted red light will flash and lose power, whereas my P5
Will perform and has plenty power and no red light to annoy me
but yeah I think the P5 is moving on in age now and time to move on and move up the scale,
surprised to read I should get 5000 euro where you are, ireland a different story, I have my P5 up for 2500
and still people will haggle,
Maybe it would be wise holding onto it, the full rig for now until the high overpriced gear comes down to realistic pricing
over the next few weeks or months 🤔
also Maybe yes only two good powered quality tops with good low end without need for subs since I no longer run a big band
I've often went out with just running the 2 P5 tops without any issue, of course I'm behind the sound and not hearing the full FOH, when you see people dancing that's enough,
So with all the info gathered and much appreciated, it's down to the wire where to go from here, will prices drop in time,
I have heard a few stores say they have gear ordered since before last November and saying they will be lucky if they get in in by the end of this February,
Oh the joys of it all, I can get to try 2 Martin audio CDD Live 12s or 15s but I know for a fact I won't be buying them

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>