Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any Linea research 4/8 chan M series owners here?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Linea research 4/8 chan M series owners here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Linea research 4/8 chan M series owners here?
    Posted: 03 January 2021 at 2:31pm
Hi, 

Ive got myself a 4 channel Linea research a 44M20 amplifiers and its rated for 20KW continuous output ( 5Kw per channel into 2 ohm).

Does anyone know if this would actually be suitable to run lets say 14 1KW subs off it? The power density of this amplifier seems too good to be true however it is class D so I wouldn't be surprised.

Does anyone have experience with any of linea research Amplifiers? would be interested to chat about them.

Thanks

Edited by Matty309 - 03 January 2021 at 2:31pm
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 2:55pm
Even 2 channel amplifiers can not really do 5000W "continuous" on 2 Ohms (just more likely 2-3000Watts for few seconds..)
There is absolutely non-exisitent category a 4ch amp with 4* 5000W real capability = when all channels are loaded with SUBS for example. When I tested Powersoft X4 (also called '4* 5K amp..) it worked only with very low duty cycles, speaker ways splitted accross its channels like one for 1. SUB another for 2. LOW and the 3. Middle and 4. HIGH..
Still it was somewhat 'affordable with some sacrifie of dynamics' with relative low duty cycle musics, dense signal on strong speakers would immedatly pull down the whole amp ! Yet not speakeing about ALL channels loaded by SUBs! :-D
Matty309 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 3:05pm
Thing is you say that but there's a video on youtube (Martin Audio - w8lm high cabinets - ws218x subwoofers - endfire - YouTube) with someone running two Martin audio (powersoft hardware)  MA12k amps on 16 1KW drivers. and they're being driven HARD. These high end amps must do what they state otherwise they wouldn't have the reputation that they have?
Matty309 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 3:10pm
i am aware that music is dynamic but a lot of rap and EDM music especially drum and bass has basslines that basically dont stop.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 4:12pm
The power inlet is rated to 8Kw at 250V. Good as lineas are, they ain’t magic.
Nor do they claim to be, the 20Kw rating is with a good deal of dynamic range, as with all modern amplifiers. Good thing to, the dynamic headroom afforded by modern amps such as the lineas or powersofts are hugely beneficial to sound quality at high spl levels.

Your amp will be able to drive a large number of subs and make a good deal of noise. Personally I would not recommend running any amplifier at 2R per channel as the bass will likely loose definition and the power supply of the amplifier will struggle. It will work and you won’t damage an amplifier built to that standard, but its far from ideal.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Matty309 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 4:16pm
So what would you personally run off the 44m20 to get the most out of it? For example its rated for 10KW at 4 ohm with 2 channels bridged. you think it would be safe to run 8 hogs off that? or would 6 be a better option?
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 4:54pm

There are no miracles, the maximum duty cycle defined is 9dB crest factor with 3475W power inlet with 4600W apparent power due low power factor (likely NO PFC..). In case of very optimistic efficiency estimation with 90% the delivered charging power is 3130W distributed across four channels. They stated energy storage of 600 Joules. -3dB power drop is usually -30% in rail voltage > half of the total capacitor bank need to be calculated: 300 Joules

It is adding 300W for 1 second
+3000W for 0.1s
+6000W for 0.05s (20Hz !)
+30000W for 0.01s (100Hz)
 Please keep in mind that you need to deliver at least 1.41 * nominal rms power at the peaks so if you have 20KW you need to have storage for 29KW.
So this amp maybe can deliver 4* 5000W pulses around 90Hz but not lower...

Edited by U.Viktor - 03 January 2021 at 5:10pm
Matty309 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 5:43pm
Thanks for that detailed reply, i looked through this download myself. Linea state in there YouTube video that they can deliver 20KW for 1 seconds or more. Intro to Linea Research M & C Series Amplifiers - YouTube

Basically, what I'm trying to do here is get an estimate how much power i can realistically expect from this amplifier, Powersoft have similar output ratings to linea. 

I guess it highly depends what music your playing, a pure sine wave with crest factor of 3db is not going to be sustainable but a lot of bass heavy music does have long basslines for the entirety of the track. 
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 1:09pm
There are amps that can sustain high sine wave power but they are not marketed at audio and are more expensive:

It depends on the other amps you have but I would try to mix the subs with mids/highs so the stress on the power supply is reduced.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Matty309 Matty309 wrote:

I guess it highly depends what music your playing, a pure sine wave with crest factor of 3db is not going to be sustainable but a lot of bass heavy music does have long basslines for the entirety of the track. 

less than you might think. if you are producing music you will presumably be listening it on monitors powered by commercially available amplifiers and will soon learn that a bass sound with a higher level impact at the start and then a lower level sustain sounds louder and better. and all basslines must have some variation (duty cycle) or it fails the definition of being music. Someone did blow up some DJ monitors of mine within 30 seconds of plugging in once - after looking for a problem with the amplifier I found that the first tune they played was their own dubstep production with a 20Hz sinewave as the bassline.
Matty309 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 3:14pm
Thats a very good point actually. They say the Linea amp is rated for 20Kw for up to about a second so that would change your perception of how loud it really is if the initial hit is harder.  

Haha typical , what a shame.  Thanks for your input
 Post Reply Post Reply