Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Speakers with sub and horn only?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Speakers with sub and horn only?
    Posted: 11 December 2019 at 3:15pm
Hey guys, I am not sure but I think I had seen all in one especially old speakers from the 70s/80s which had only a large horn and a sub or bass speaker. Can anyone tell me those models please? 
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 4:48pm
The most famous of these are the Altec A7/voice of the theater but they are more from the mid 50s. In the early days of Pa a lot of these combo’s were popular. EV eliminator and jbl 4520/2395 come to mind.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 5:10pm
Hmnn thanks. I wonder though if any of those were just a regular 2 way speaker or if the woofer was a sub pushing only bass so all mids and highs were coming only from the horn which is what I seeking?

Edited by mikehende - 11 December 2019 at 5:21pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 7:20pm
If you want mids from a horn it’s going to need to be huge. ‘Sub’ back then was really bass or mid-bass to be more accurate. None of those boxes played low. A modern two way box will be better in almost all ways.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 7:36pm
Any horn comes to mind which can handle mids and highs on it's own?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by mikehende mikehende wrote:

I wonder though if any of those were just a regular 2 way speaker or if the woofer was a sub pushing only bass so all mids and highs were coming only from the horn which is what I seeking?

No. You have to realize that music back then didn't have any sub bass, home theater and car audio as we know it today didn't exist. I DJ'd through the '80's with some of these big fullrange speaker systems and never thought the system was lacking any lowend even though there was never any output below maybe 50hz. The better systems had large format compression drivers that crossed at around 800hz, with those it sorta sounds like all the mids and highs are coming from the horn but in reality the low frequency driver also generates a lot of mid output and that requires a driver with smooth and extended midrange response.. something a dedicated subwoofer just can't do. Up until the '80's the low/mid drivers used in pa cabs were often the same drivers that would be used in a guitar cab because that was all that was available.

Edited by Conanski - 11 December 2019 at 7:49pm
Soundscape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 8:32pm
Back in the 70's/80's, Vitavox (UK audio company) were making the Thunderbolt speaker. This was 2 way with a horn loaded 15" and a small 'multicell' radial with a S3 compression driver.

They certainly weren't capable of producing 'sub' but still managed to generate a decent frequency range for the music of the time. I saw the band Landscape at a gig (1981 possibly) with 2 pairs of Thunderbolts per side for the PA plus some slot type tweeters which to my ears sounded great.

Vitavox never got very far into the proaudio market as they were 'old school' and had been selling products into cinemas & theatres for many years. They also sold to the hifi market and still have some fans in that area today.

mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 8:43pm
You hit the nail on the head! My purpose for looking into this now is to try to replicate or build a system which will give me as close to the sound of neighbor's system back in the mid-late 70s. I "think" that neighbor had only a large horn and a bass cab by the sound it giving out, no mid woofers. 

I have been trying for the past 2 months to get the info from that neighbor but I honestly have NO IDEA why he won't answer only a few questions? I myself don't live where he lives so I was depending on another friend of mine to ask him of the exact equipment he had and the wiring but my friend said "it's like pulling teeth". Therefore I am not sure or rather very doubtful that neighbor will ever give the details or simply answer my 3 basic questions.

The above is why I am looking into if there was maybe just one speaker cab which he might have been using or if it was a separate horn and bass cab run from an active crossover. The bass is not an issue really it's the horn. I figure if I can get a horn which gives good mids and highs then I can try it.  
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 8:56pm
Yes Vitavox speakers seems to be what I was referring to especially something like this which looks like a w-bin and a horn. If that is the case then I would think all of the mids would be coming from only the horn?

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 9:12pm
The multi cell vitavox horn in that link was from their 220Hz range, and were big old things. Ive had a few through my hands over the years, with an S2 on the back they would happily do 220-15,000Hz, with a bit of beaming at the top end
So, more than capable of meeting a woofer in a bass horn. Sounds a bit old skool however...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 9:19pm
Thx. So nowadays is there any horn and driver combo you think would handle all mids and highs effectively please? Or would the peavey MF1-X MKII which goes from 500hz do it?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by mikehende mikehende wrote:

Thx. So nowadays is there any horn and driver combo you think would handle all mids and highs effectively please? Or would the peavey MF1-X MKII which goes from 500hz do it?

Google Unity horns, or Coentrant horns. Lots of DIY advice on those. They use multiple drivers tapped into one horn to produce a broader range whilst remaining phase coherent. I'm biased, but they have a much more 'real' sound than anything other than their Synergy horn children.

You can also get midrange performance from modern compression drivers, particularly the coaxial ones. Something like a B&C DXC464 on a VERY LARGE horn will reach 400Hz. Whether you like the sound of a compression driver that low, or you are willing to accept a horn that is well over half a meter in either direction, is up to you.

EDIT: I thought this smelled familiar:
https://forum.speakerplans.com/has-anyone-here-ever-used-only-horns-as-tops_topic100719.html

You asked the same kind of question a couple years back. Did you follow on from any of that? Ignoring the passive aggressive tone at the start of the thread, which I can appreciate may have turned you off, there's some good suggestions in there. If you're not talking about PA / event applications then please be clear.

Edited by toastyghost - 11 December 2019 at 9:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>