Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anybody seen an 18” Folded Horn like this before
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody seen an 18” Folded Horn like this before

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody seen an 18” Folded Horn like this before
    Posted: 12 July 2022 at 8:50pm
Hi peeps,

Recently acquired a pair of RCL folded horns loaded with original drivers for a good price, upon opening them up to see what’s going inside, me and a friend were surprised at the positioning of the drivers, anyone seen another folded horn with a similar internal structure? 

Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 1:38am
just little band pass horns, won't do sub, could be OK on kick duties

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 9:49am
Thats no band pass horn, ive seen these in the flesh. Simple FLH with the throat being the driver  baffle and the rear panel. Probably a reasonable 50Hz in pairs or quads 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 3:13pm
first of all you take the worst most useless pictures - worst angles, worst lighting - just the worst.

secondly it's a regular front loaded horn except it's useless trash because it's too small.

third rate speaker companies make products like this for customers that don't know any better.

if you ever played around with HornResp you would know that to properly horn load a 18" driver you will need an enormous horn ... or maybe your speaker IS enormous - impossible to tell from the useless pics. 

anyway size is why JBL has discontinued all their bass horns and the few bass horns from reputable companies that are still around tend to use smaller drivers like 12" ...

even then as has been mentioned to get specified performance bass horns usually have to be arrayed and/or corner loaded.

with the advent of class D amplifiers bass horns do not make any sense, at least not for portable applications.

what most people probably do not realize is that arrays are secretly bass horns.  at low frequencies due to driver coupling arrays essentially fold space thereby horn loading the bass.  sure arrays cost more and require more power but in the end they deliver more bass from smaller speakers.

horns are the past.

arrays are the future.

but this isn't even a horn it's a joke.

the challenge is to dig below 40 hz - if your horn is only helping above say 50 hz - what is the point ?

sure it will sound louder but it will not sound better.

what is the point of adding size and weight just to make something sound worse ?  NONE.  that's why serious companies don't build products like this anymore.

on the other hand it's possible that if your boxes are arrayed and corner loaded they might not be so bad.

anyway i'm just angry because it took me a while to figure out what i was looking at because of all the weird angles in your pics. 

this post was your punishment for taking bad pics.

the good news is i have seen even worse bass horns than this get 5 star reviews and that's because the average customer buying them has no clue.  

your horn seems merely comically undersized whereas i have seen products that are only trying to LOOK like horns without any horn loading at all and they were getting 5 star reviews ... just like those Sinbosen amps get rave reviews from people who buy them ... 

the way it works is people buy things that look cool and then they brainwash themselves into believing that these things are awesome since they look so cool and then when they listen they convince themselves that what they are hearing must be great since it's coming from such an awesome product ... there are other factors as well.

similar type of psychology applies to anything from Sinbosen amps to Tesla electric cars to various types of bass bins ...

this is the price of freedom.  if i was a dictator i would execute everybody who makes trash like this.  in a free world the best you can do is stick with reputable companies like JBL ...

but then again - how do you know what is reputable company ?  some people think Tesla is a reputable company.

ultimately it's a nightmare ...

PS: no offense to anybody just venting ...

Edited by Line Array - 13 July 2022 at 3:36pm
best place on the internet >>>

https://dissidentsound.discoursehosting.net
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Line Array Line Array wrote:

first of all you take the worst most useless pictures - worst angles, worst lighting - just the worst.

secondly it's a regular front loaded horn except it's useless trash because it's too small.

third rate speaker companies make products like this for customers that don't know any better.

if you ever played around with HornResp you would know that to properly horn load a 18" driver you will need an enormous horn ... or maybe your speaker IS enormous - impossible to tell from the useless pics. 

anyway size is why JBL has discontinued all their bass horns and the few bass horns from reputable companies that are still around tend to use smaller drivers like 12" ...

even then as has been mentioned to get specified performance bass horns usually have to be arrayed and/or corner loaded.

with the advent of class D amplifiers bass horns do not make any sense, at least not for portable applications.

what most people probably do not realize is that arrays are secretly bass horns.  at low frequencies due to driver coupling arrays essentially fold space thereby horn loading the bass.  sure arrays cost more and require more power but in the end they deliver more bass from smaller speakers.

horns are the past.

arrays are the future.

but this isn't even a horn it's a joke.

the challenge is to dig below 40 hz - if your horn is only helping above say 50 hz - what is the point ?

sure it will sound louder but it will not sound better.

what is the point of adding size and weight just to make something sound worse ?  NONE.  that's why serious companies don't build products like this anymore.

on the other hand it's possible that if your boxes are arrayed and corner loaded they might not be so bad.

anyway i'm just angry because it took me a while to figure out what i was looking at because of all the weird angles in your pics. 

this post was your punishment for taking bad pics.

the good news is i have seen even worse bass horns than this get 5 star reviews and that's because the average customer buying them has no clue.  

your horn seems merely comically undersized whereas i have seen products that are only trying to LOOK like horns without any horn loading at all and they were getting 5 star reviews ... just like those Sinbosen amps get rave reviews from people who buy them ... 

the way it works is people buy things that look cool and then they brainwash themselves into believing that these things are awesome since they look so cool and then when they listen they convince themselves that what they are hearing must be great since it's coming from such an awesome product ... there are other factors as well.

similar type of psychology applies to anything from Sinbosen amps to Tesla electric cars to various types of bass bins ...

this is the price of freedom.  if i was a dictator i would execute everybody who makes trash like this.  in a free world the best you can do is stick with reputable companies like JBL ...

but then again - how do you know what is reputable company ?  some people think Tesla is a reputable company.

ultimately it's a nightmare ...

PS: no offense to anybody just venting ...

Venting? That a understatement for sure Ermm
Thankfully the most of us live in a free world and are entitled to have our own opinions Smile
I am a big fan of BPH, and I like to listen to 90s music. 
No need for real sub. Just give me a gut wrenching kick!
al_x View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote al_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 4:08pm
What the hell was that reply from ‘line array’? LOLLOL
Run out of meds?

Anyway, this is a RCL LAX118 folded horn. 
Search google, a few results come up from this forum. 

Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by al_x al_x wrote:

What the hell was that reply from ‘line array’? LOLLOL
Run out of meds?

Anyway, this is a RCL LAX118 folded horn. 
Search google, a few results come up from this forum. 

Is it hot where he lives , too much sun and No meds , is not good 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 6:36pm

....in a free world the best you can do is stick with reputable companies like JBL ...

And lets be honest their cheaper cabs are nothing to shout about; Carpet covered MDF cabs with cheap crossovers, pressed steel drivers and comps that barely get above 12khz. And then there's those 'Eon' plastic things....
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 12:27pm
WTF just weird and unnecessary.  Even if joking. still? Why bother ? the dude just wants to know about his speakers. let him have it. Twat!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

....in a free world the best you can do is stick with reputable companies like JBL ...

And lets be honest their cheaper cabs are nothing to shout about; Carpet covered MDF cabs with cheap crossovers, pressed steel drivers and comps that barely get above 12khz. And then there's those 'Eon' plastic things....

Yup - but the old Eon 15 GII are actually ok. And made to last. The newer Class D(ead) stuff - yes, overpriced & made to fail.   Dead

"WTF just weird and unnecessary.  Even if joking. still? Why bother ? the dude just wants to know about his speakers. let him have it. Twat!"

Be carefull! The guy is from the USofA. He might take offense & go shoot up a sushi bar, some kindergarten - or load of point source cabs!!  Shocked

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 4:56pm

“First of all” this is the biggest pile of horse shit you’ve posted yet. And the bar was already set pretty low.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

“First of all” this is the biggest pile of horse shit you’ve posted yet. And the bar was already set pretty low.

"Arrays fold space". Beware -- Worm Holes!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>